The determinants of the Harare Stock Exchange (HSE) market capitalisation
This is an exploratory study that attempts to identify and provide empirical evidence on the possible determinants of the market capitalisation of the Harare Stock Exchange (HSE) with the view of understanding the development prospects of the HSE and other similar markets. The study used 1976-1996 quarterly data from the International Finance Corporation (IFC) and Microfit was used to analyse the data. Using the assumption that market size is positively correlated with the ability to mobilise capital and diversify risk, the study findings suggest that share price and the exchange rate are the most important determinants of the HSE market capitalisation. The study suggests that further in-depth research into the determinants of market capitalisation for the African and other emerging stock markets is required to identify best ways of developing these markets within the global financial system while at the same time promoting local economic growth. The paper begins with an introduction about the HSE followed by short description of stock markets in developing countries. The second part of the paper outlines the theory behind market capitalisation, the development of of the general econometric model and specific cointegrating regression model and the results from the analysis. The third section provides conclusions and policy implications associated with encouraging the stock markets in the emerging stock markets with particular reference to the HSE.
|Date of creation:||20 Nov 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demirguc-Kunt, Ash & Levine, Ross, 1996. "Stock Markets, Corporate Finance, and Economic Growth: An Overview," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 223-239, May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Ash & Levine, Ross, 1996.
"Stock Market Development and Financial Intermediaries: Stylized Facts,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 291-321, May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 1995. "Stock market development and financial intermediaries : stylized facts," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1462, The World Bank.
- Philip Arestis & Panicos Demetriades, "undated". "Finance and growth: Institutional Considerations and Causality," Working Papers 9605, University of East London, Department of Economics.
- Singh, A. & Hamid, J., 1992. "Corporate Financial Structure in Developing Countries," Papers 1, World Bank - International Finance Corporation. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:1418. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.