What is the evidence on the role of foreign direct investment in economics growth, and on the determinants of foreign direct investment flows?
Firstly I shall investigate the determinants of FDI flows and why they have supplanted other forms of foreign investment in recent years. I shall then turn to their effects on GDP growth, examining the empirical evidence in the modern form and also that of during the British empire, where its FDI was far longer lasting and substantial (relative to world GDP) than at present. I shall then suggest a simple model to explain this behaviour, and finally extract a conclusion that FDI improves GDP growth in the short term, but has a negative effect in the long term.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ian McLean, 2004.
"Australian Economic Growth in Historical Perspective,"
Method and Hist of Econ Thought
- Ian W. Mclean, 2004. "Australian Economic Growth in Historical Perspective," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 80(250), pages 330-345, 09.
- Ian W. McLean, 2004. "Australian Economic Growth in Historical Perspective," School of Economics Working Papers 2004-01, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995.
"How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998. "How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- N/A, 2004. "The World Economy," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 187(1), pages 8-35, January.
- N/A, 2004. "The World Economy," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 189(1), pages 8-36, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:13651. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.