Panel data analysis of “Export-led” Growth Hypothesis in BIMP-EAGA Countries
This paper uses panel data analysis to test the validity of the “export-led hypothesis” in three BIMP-EAGA countries (i.e. Indonesia, Malaysia, and the Philippines) by using panel data analysis. One-way random effects model leads to a conclusion that, there is no significant relationship between the size of national income and the amount of export for these countries. On the other hand, panel unit root tests imply that there is strong evidence of stationary process for both GDP and EX at the first differences. However, the panel co-integration test indicates there is no co-integrating relationship between export and development for these countries. As a conclusion, the export could be not seen as the “engine” of growth in these BIMP-EAGA. In other word, the empirical findings did not provide sufficient evident to support the “export-led hypothesis” in the area.
|Date of creation:||09 Feb 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricardo Hausmann & Dani Rodrik, 2002.
"Economic Development as Self-Discovery,"
NBER Working Papers
8952, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Rodrik, Dani, 2002. "Economic Development as Self-Discovery," Working Paper Series rwp02-023, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Rodrik, Dani, 2002. "Economic Development as Self Discovery," CEPR Discussion Papers 3356, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2007:i:38:p:1-14 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fumitaka Furuoka, 2007. "Do exports act as “engine” of growth? Evidence from Malaysia," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(38), pages 1-14.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:13264. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.