Partnership Dissolution and Proprietary Information
This paper studies different rules in dissolving a common value partnership where one partner holds proprietary information. In winner's bid auction (WBA) and loser's bid auction (LBA), there exists a unique mixed strategy equilibrium. ``Payoff equivalence'' is established in the sense that partners' expected payoffs are the same under the two auction formats. The informed partner benefits from an information rent while the uninformed suffers from an ``ownership's curse''. When cake-cutting mechanism (CCM) is applied, whether pure strategy equilibrium exists or not depends on the identity of the proposer. If the uninformed partner is the proposer, the informed partner receives an information rent in a pure strategy equilibrium. If the informed partner is the proposer, the asset value is shared equally between the two parties in a mixed strategy equilibrium. The paper then compares the information rents and prices offered for proprietary information by the three rules.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kittsteiner, Thomas, 2003.
"Partnerships and double auctions with interdependent valuations,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 54-76, July.
- Kittsteiner, Thomas, 2000. "Partnerships and Double Auctions with Interdependent Valuations," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 01-15, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Juan Dubra, 2004.
"A Correction to Uniqueness in 'Competitive Bidding and Proprietary Information',"
Game Theory and Information
- Dubra, Juan, 2006. "A correction to uniqueness in "Competitive Bidding and Proprietary Information"," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 56-60, February.
- Benny Moldovanu, 2002. "How to Dissolve a Partnership," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 158(1), pages 66-, March.
- Fieseler, Karsten & Kittsteiner, Thomas & Moldovanu, Benny, 2003.
"Partnerships, lemons, and efficient trade,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 223-234, December.
- Fieseler, Karsten & Kittsteiner, Thomas & Moldovanu, Benny, 1999. "Partnerships, Lemons and Efficient Trade," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 99-71, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Moldovanu, Benny & Fieseler, Karsten & Kittsteiner, Thomas, 1999. "Partnerships, Lemons and Efficient Trade," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 01-18, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Ornelas, Emanuel & Turner, John L., 2007.
"Efficient dissolution of partnerships and the structure of control,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 187-199, July.
- John L. Turner & Emanuel Ornelas, 2004. "Efficient Dissolution of Partnerships and the Structure of Control," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 286, Econometric Society.
- María-Angeles de Frutos & Thomas Kittsteiner, 2008.
"Efficient partnership dissolution under buy-sell clauses,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 39(1), pages 184-198.
- Maria Angeles de Frutos & Thomas Kittsteiner, 2004. "Efficient partnership dissolution under buy/sell clauses," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse1_2004, University of Bonn, Germany, revised Jul 2004.
- Kittsteiner, T. & De Frutos & M-A, 2004. "Efficient Partnership Dissolution under Buy/Sell Clauses," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 314, Econometric Society.
- María Angeles de Frutos & Thomas Kittsteiner, 2006. "Efficient partnership dissolution under buy-sell clauses," Economics Working Papers we072816, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Peter Cramton & Robert Gibbons & Paul Klemperer, 1987.
"Dissolving a Partnership Efficiently,"
Papers of Peter Cramton
87econ, University of Maryland, Department of Economics - Peter Cramton, revised 09 Jun 1998.
- de Frutos, M. Angeles, 2000. "Asymmetric Price-Benefits Auctions," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 48-71, October.
- Jianpei Li & Elmar Wolfstetter, 2010.
"Partnership dissolution, complementarity, and investment incentives,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 62(3), pages 529-552, July.
- Jianpei Li & Elmar G. Wolfstetter, 2004. "Partnership Dissolution, Complementarity, and Investment Incentives," CESifo Working Paper Series 1325, CESifo Group Munich.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:12505. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.