Partnership dissolution, complementarity, and investment incentives
Partnerships form in order to take advantage of complementary skills; however, new opportunities may arise that make some partners' skills useless. We analyse partnerships that anticipate possible dissolution under the most commonly advised and widely used dissolution rule known as 'buy--sell provision'. We find that this rule assures neither ex post efficient dissolutions nor ex ante efficient investments. We also discuss whether renegotiations, supplementing the buy--sell provision with the right to veto, or allowing the uninformed partner to set the dissolution price may restore efficiency, and whether pre-emptive requests for dissolution occur in equilibrium. Copyright 2010 Oxford University Press 2009 All rights reserved, Oxford University Press.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 62 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK|
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- María-Angeles de Frutos & Thomas Kittsteiner, 2008.
"Efficient partnership dissolution under buy-sell clauses,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 39(1), pages 184-198.
- Kittsteiner, T. & De Frutos & M-A, 2004. "Efficient Partnership Dissolution under Buy/Sell Clauses," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 314, Econometric Society.
- Kittsteiner, Thomas & Frutos, María Ángeles de, 2006. "Efficient partnership dissolution under buy-sell clauses," UC3M Working papers. Economics we072816, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Maria Angeles de Frutos & Thomas Kittsteiner, 2004. "Efficient partnership dissolution under buy/sell clauses," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse1_2004, University of Bonn, Germany, revised Jul 2004.
- Cramton, Peter & Gibbons, Robert & Klemperer, Paul, 1987. "Dissolving a Partnership Efficiently," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 615-632, May.
- Peter Cramton & Robert Gibbons & Paul Klemperer, 1985. "Dissolving a Partnership Efficiently," Working papers 406, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Peter Cramton & Robert Gibbons & Paul Klemperer, 1987. "Dissolving a Partnership Efficiently," Papers of Peter Cramton 87econ, University of Maryland, Department of Economics - Peter Cramton, revised 09 Jun 1998.
- Banks, Jeffrey S & Sobel, Joel, 1987. "Equilibrium Selection in Signaling Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 647-661, May.
- Banks, Jeffrey S. & Sobel, Joel., 1985. "Equilibrium Selection in Signaling Games," Working Papers 565, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Kittsteiner, Thomas, 2003. "Partnerships and double auctions with interdependent valuations," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 54-76, July.
- Kittsteiner, Thomas, 2000. "Partnerships and Double Auctions with Interdependent Valuations," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 01-15, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.