Some economic and social aspects of residential internet use in Australia
This study constructs a profile of the representative Australian residential Internet user from data obtained from a web-based survey. Survey data indicate the representative user is male, 20 to 40 years of age, highly educated, uses the Internet 8 hrs per week for e-mail and FTP, and has a monthly bill of AUD32. Anordered-logit model relates Internet use to price, sociodemographic and connection capacity variables. Model estimates show the probability of higher Internet use is greater for middle-income households, but declines with age of the user. Policy may be required to enhance access to lower-income groups, and to inform the elderly of the potential capabilities of the new technology. Further, model estimates suggest that Australian Internet subscribers prefer flat-rate pricing (or a combination of flat-rate and usagesensitive pricing) over usage-sensitive pricing schemes. This result is consistent with Australian consumer attitudes toward local telephone and mobile cellular pricing.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Publication status:||Published in The Journal of Media Economics 13.3(2000): pp. 171-185|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey K. MacKie-Mason & Hal Varian, 1994.
"Economic FAQs About the Internet,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 8(3), pages 75-96, Summer.
- Mackie-Mason, J.K. & Varian, H.R., 1994. "Economic FACs about the Internet," Papers 94-05, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Jeffrey K. MacKie-Mason & Hal R. Varian, 1996. "Economic FAQs About the Internet," Industrial Organization 9606001, EconWPA.
- Shenker, Scott & Clark, David & Estrin, Deborah & Herzog, Shai, 1996. "Pricing in computer networks: Reshaping the research agenda," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 183-201, April.
- Bodnar & Peter Dilworth & Salvatore Iacono, Judith, 1988. "Cross-sectional analysis of residential telephone subscription in Canada," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 355-378.
- MacKie-Mason, J.K. & Varian, H.L., 1993. "Some Economists of the Internet," Papers 93-16, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:11158. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.