Assessing the Targeting Performance of Social Programs: Cape Verde
Budget constraints faced by governments in developing countries imply that the targeting performance of public subsidies and social programs (whether the subsidies are provided in cash or in kind) is important for reducing poverty. In this paper, we analyze the distributional properties of the main existing social programs in Cape Verde and assess whether various targeting systems (including proxy means testing and geographic targeting) could help to improve targeting performance.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2008|
|Publication status:||Published in Public Finance for Poverty Reduction: Concepts and Case Studies from Africa and Latin America (edited by Blanca Moreno-Dodson and Quentin Wodon, published in World Bank Directions in Development) (2008): pp. 417-439|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wodon, Quentin & Ajwad, Mohamed Ishan & Siaens, Corinne, 2003. "Lifeline or Means-Testing? Electric Utility Subsidies in Honduras," MPRA Paper 15419, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Coady, David P. & Grosh, Margaret & Hoddinott, John, 2002.
"Targeting outcomes redux,"
FCND discussion papers
144, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Coady, David P. & Grosh, Margaret & Hoddinott, John, 2002. "Targeting outcomes redux," FCND briefs 144, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Diego Angel-Urdinola & Quentin Wodon, 2007. "Do Utility Subsidies Reach the Poor? Framework and Evidence for Cape Verde, Sao Tome, and Rwanda," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 9(4), pages 1-7.
- Angel-Urdinola, Diego & Cosgrove-Davies, Malcolm & Wodon, Quentin, 2006. "Rwanda: Electricity Tariff Reform," MPRA Paper 9044, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:9:y:2007:i:4:p:1-7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alderman, Harold, 2002. "Subsidies as a social safety net: effectiveness and challenges," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 25299, The World Bank. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:11072. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.