An Exercise on Discrete-Time Intertemporal Optimization
This paper, using the different alternative methods of dynamic optimization - the Lagrange/Kuhn-Tucker (LKT) method, the substitution method, the Hamiltonian method, and the dynamic programming approach - derives the conditions that must be satisfied by the solution to the so-called Ramsey problem, hopefully in a way that can be understood by advanced undergraduate economics students. This is done by assuming that time is discrete and that, for simplicity but without loss of generality, there are only three periods.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published as UPSE Discussion Paper No. 2013-06, July 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Diliman, Quezon City 1101|
Web page: http://www.econ.upd.edu.ph/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brock, William A. & Mirman, Leonard J., 1972. "Optimal economic growth and uncertainty: The discounted case," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 479-513, June.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Stanley Fischer, 1989. "Lectures on Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262022834, March.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1996. "Foundations of International Macroeconomics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262150476, March.
- David Cass, 1965. "Optimum Growth in an Aggregative Model of Capital Accumulation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(3), pages 233-240.
- Dorfman, Robert, 1969. "An Economic Interpretation of Optimal Control Theory," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(5), pages 817-31, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:phs:dpaper:201306. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Reuben T. Campos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.