A Planner of Global Income Transfers: International Public Goods and Productivity Differentials
The purpose of this paper, by introducing the adjustment expense of global income transfers across N countries, is to produce an explicit rule for the planner country regarding income transfers, and to investigate the effects of income transfers on each country fs welfare. The findings are: (i) when country i has a productive advantage in producing public goods, country i becomes an income receiver; (ii) specifying the particular level of the adjustment expense for global income transfers, the planner can decide the values of income transfers for all countries; (iii) even though any country can become a planner of income transfers, all countries get the same utility level, while the low adjustment expense under a particular planner country leads to a Pareto-improving outcome; (iv) all conclusions are derived based on well-known information regarding the cost of producing public goods and income levels for all countries.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www2.econ.osaka-u.ac.jp/library/global/e_HP/e_g_shiryo.html|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caplan, Arthur J. & Cornes, Richard C. & Silva, Emilson C. D., 2000. "Pure public goods and income redistribution in a federation with decentralized leadership and imperfect labor mobility," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 265-284, August.
- Itaya, Jun-ichi & de Meza, David & Myles, Gareth D, 2002. " Income Distribution, Taxation, and the Private Provision of Public Goods," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 4(3), pages 273-97.
- Bergstrom, Ted C. & Blume, Larry & Varian, Hal, 1992. "Uniqueness of Nash equilibrium in private provision of public goods : An improved proof," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 391-392, December.
- Ihori, Toshihiro, 1996. "International public goods and contribution productivity differentials," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 139-154, July.
- Jin Kim & Shim, Seungjin, 2006. "Incentive mechanisms for international public goods under uncertainty of production costs," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 92(3), pages 311-316, September.
- Boadway, Robin & Hayashi, Masayoshi, 1999. "Country size and the voluntary provision of international public goods," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 619-638, November.
- Bergstrom, Theodore & Blume, Lawrence & Varian, Hal, 1986. "On the private provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-49, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:osk:wpaper:0838. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Atsuko SUZUKI)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.