The Economist as Scientist, Engineer or Plumber?
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
References listed on IDEAS
- Blaug,Mark, 1997. "Economic Theory in Retrospect," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521577014, December.
- N. G. Mankiw., 2009.
"The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer,"
VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 5.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2006. "The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer," NBER Working Papers 12349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2006. "The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2121, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Christian Leuz, 2018.
"Evidence-based policymaking: promise, challenges and opportunities for accounting and financial markets research,"
Accounting and Business Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(5), pages 582-608, July.
- Christian Leuz, 2018. "Evidence-Based Policymaking: Promise, Challenges and Opportunities for Accounting and Financial Markets Research," NBER Working Papers 24535, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leuz, Christian, 2018. "Evidence-based policymaking: Promise, challenges and opportunities for accounting and financial markets research," CFS Working Paper Series 611, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Béatrice Cherrier, 2017. "Classifying Economics: A History of the JEL Codes," Post-Print halshs-02735838, HAL.
- Roger E. Backhouse & Jeff Biddle, 2000. "The Concept of Applied Economics: A History of Ambiguity and Multiple Meanings," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 32(5), pages 1-24, Supplemen.
- David C. Colander & Huei-Chun Su, 2018. "How Economics Should Be Done," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 17588.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Esther Duflo, 2009.
"The Experimental Approach to Development Economics,"
Annual Review of Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 151-178, May.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Esther Duflo, 2008. "The Experimental Approach to Development Economics," NBER Working Papers 14467, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Banerjee, Abhijit & Duflo, Esther, 2008. "The Experimental Approach to Development Economics," CEPR Discussion Papers 7037, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John B. Davis & D. Wade Hands (ed.), 2011. "The Elgar Companion to Recent Economic Methodology," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 13684.
- Beatrice Cherrier, 2017. "Classifying Economics: A History of the JEL Codes," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 55(2), pages 545-579, June.
- Keynes, John Neville, 1890. "The Scope and Method of Political Economy," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, edition 4, number keynes1890.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sergio Mariotti, 2022. "The economics–engineering nexus: response to the commentaries," Economia e Politica Industriale: Journal of Industrial and Business Economics, Springer;Associazione Amici di Economia e Politica Industriale, vol. 49(1), pages 1-29, March.
- Hyytinen, Ari, 2021. "Shared problem solving and design thinking in entrepreneurship research," Journal of Business Venturing Insights, Elsevier, vol. 16(C).
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Gorynia Marian, 2019. "Competition and globalisation in economic sciences. Selected aspects," Economics and Business Review, Sciendo, vol. 5(3), pages 118-133, September.
- Jussi T. S. Heikkila, 2020.
"Classifying economics for the common good: Connecting sustainable development goals to JEL codes,"
- Heikkilä, Jussi, 2020. "Classifying Economics for the Common Good: Connecting Sustainable Development Goals to JEL Codes," MPRA Paper 99559, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Seltzer, Andrew J. & Hamermesh, Daniel S., 2018.
"Co-authorship in economic history and economics: Are we any different?,"
Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 69(C), pages 102-109.
- Seltzer, Andrew J. & Hamermesh, Daniel S., 2017. "Co-authorship in economic history and economics: are we any different?," Economic History Working Papers 77854, London School of Economics and Political Science, Department of Economic History.
- Andrew Seltzer & Daniel S. Hamermesh, 2017. "Co-authorship in Economic History and Economics: Are We Any Different?," NBER Working Papers 23404, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Seltzer, Andrew J. & Hamermesh, Daniel S., 2018. "Co-authorship in economic history and economics: are we any different?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 87598, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Andrew J. Seltzer & Daniel S. Hamermesh, 2017. "Co-authorship in Economic History and Economics: Are We Any Different?," CEH Discussion Papers 03, Centre for Economic History, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Roger Backhouse & Beatrice Cherrier, 2014.
"Becoming Applied: The Transformation of Economics after 1970,"
14-11, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Roger E. Backhouse & Beatrice Cherrier, 2014. "Becoming Applied: The Transformation of Economics after 1970," Center for the History of Political Economy Working Paper Series 2014-15, Center for the History of Political Economy.
- Constantin Bürgi & Klaus Wohlrabe, 2022.
"The influence of Covid-19 on publications in economics: bibliometric evidence from five working paper series,"
Scientometrics, Springer;Akadémiai Kiadó, vol. 127(9), pages 5175-5189, September.
- Constantin Bürgi & Klaus Wohlrabe, 2022. "The Influence of Covid-19 on Publications in Economics: Bibliometric Evidence from Five Working Paper Series," CESifo Working Paper Series 9787, CESifo.
- Cherrier, Beatrice & Svorenčík, Andrej, 2017. "Defining Excellence: 70 Years of John Bates Clark Medals," SocArXiv bacmj, Center for Open Science.
- Floris Heukelom, 2011. "Behavioral Economics," Chapters, in: John B. Davis & D. Wade Hands (ed.), The Elgar Companion to Recent Economic Methodology, chapter 2, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- De Vroey Michel & Duarte Pedro Garcia, 2013.
"In search of lost time: the neoclassical synthesis,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 13(1), pages 1-31, January.
- Michel De Vroey & Pedro Garcia Duarte, 2012. "In Search of Lost Time: The Neoclassical Synthesis," Working Papers, Department of Economics 2012_07, University of São Paulo (FEA-USP).
- Pedro Garcia Duarte & Michel De Vroey, 2014. "In Search Of Lost Time: The Neoclassicalsynthesis," Anais do XL Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 40th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 005, ANPEC - AssociaÃ§Ã£o Nacional dos Centros de PÃ³s-GraduaÃ§Ã£o em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Michel DE VROEY & Pedro GARCIA DUARTE, 2012. "In Search Of Lost Time: The Neoclassical Synthesis," LIDAM Discussion Papers IRES 2012026, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Andrei Dubovik & Clemens Fiedler & Alexei Parakhonyak, 2022. "Temporal Patterns in Economics Research," CPB Discussion Paper 440, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Ali Sina Önder & Sergey V. Popov & Sascha Schweitzer, 2021. "Leadership in Scholarship: Editors’ Appointments and the Profession’s Narrative," Working Papers in Economics & Finance 2021-05, University of Portsmouth, Portsmouth Business School, Economics and Finance Subject Group.
- Charles Ka Yui LEUNG, 2022. "Housing and Macroeconomics," ISER Discussion Paper 1197, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Anna Gunnthorsdottir & Douglas A. Norton, 2018. "Introduction to Experimental Economics and Culture," Research in Experimental Economics, in: Anna Gunnthorsdottir & Douglas A. Norton (ed.), Experimental Economics and Culture, volume 20, pages 1-24, Emerald Publishing Ltd.
- David Colander, 2018. "The Scope and Method of Applied Policy Economics," The American Economist, Sage Publications, vol. 63(2), pages 132-146, October.
- Beatrice Cherrier & Jean-Baptiste Fleury, 2017.
"Economists’ interest in collective decision after World War II: a history,"
Public Choice, Springer, vol. 172(1), pages 23-44, July.
- Béatrice Cherrier & Jean-Baptiste Fleury, 2017. "Economists’ interest in collective decision after World War II: a history," Post-Print halshs-02735878, HAL.
- Lutz Bornmann & Klaus Wohlrabe, 2019. "Normalisation of citation impact in economics," Scientometrics, Springer;Akadémiai Kiadó, vol. 120(2), pages 841-884, August.
- Leonardo Cei & Edi Defrancesco & Gianluca Stefani, 2022. "What topic modelling can show about the development of agricultural economics: evidence from the Journal Citation Report category top journals [What topic modeling could reveal about the evolution ," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 49(2), pages 289-330.
- Bransch, Felix & Kvasnicka, Michael, 2017. "Male Gatekeepers Gender Bias in the Publishing Process?," IZA Discussion Papers 11089, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Onder, Ali Sina & Popov, Sergey V & Schweitzer, Sascha, 2018. "Leadership in Scholarship: Editors' Influence on the Profession's Narrative," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2018/2, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Jaque Herrera, Gabriela & Cárdenas-Retamal, Roberto & Barrales Henriquez, Daniel, 2022. "Tendencias en Publicaciones en Revistas Chilenas de Economía," Documentos de Trabajo 12, Estudios Nueva Economía.
- Adnan Haider Bukhari & Safdar Ullah Khan, 2008. "A Small Open Economy DSGE Model for Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 47(4), pages 963-1008.
More about this item
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-CWA-2021-02-22 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-HPE-2021-02-22 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-PKE-2021-02-22 (Post Keynesian Economics)
- NEP-SOG-2021-02-22 (Sociology of Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:osf:osfxxx:c98mu. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://osf.io/preprints/ .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: OSF (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://osf.io/preprints/ .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.