How to Spend It: Commodity and Non-Commodity Sovereign Wealth Funds
Sovereign wealth funds have become important players in global financial markets. But their investments have repeatedly raised concerns, such as fear of industrial espionage or geopolitical threats. This paper argues that the principal motivation for setting up SWFs should put such concerns into the appropriate perspective. Development economics can explain both the funding sources and the motives that have led to the recent SWF boom, thus helping to prevent the imposition of investment restrictions in OECD countries.
|Date of creation:||11 Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33-(0)-1-45 24 82 00
Fax: 33-(0)-1-45 24 85 00
Web page: http://www.oecd.org/Dev
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth Kasa, 1997. "Does Singapore invest too much?," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue may15.
- Dong He & Wenlang Zhang & Jimmy Shek, 2007.
"How Efficient Has Been China'S Investment? Empirical Evidence From National And Provincial Data,"
Pacific Economic Review,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 597-617, December.
- Dong He & Wenlang Zhang & Jimmy Shek, 2006. "How Efficient Has Been China's Investment? Empirical Evidence from National and Provincial Data," Working Papers 0619, Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
- Aaditya Mattoo & Arvind Subramanian, 2009.
"Currency Undervaluation and Sovereign Wealth Funds: A New Role for the World Trade Organization,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(8), pages 1135-1164, 08.
- Mattoo, Aaditya & Subramanian, Arvind, 2008. "Currency undervaluation and sovereign wealth funds : a new role for the World Trade Organization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4668, The World Bank.
- Arvind Subramanian & Aaditya Mattoo, 2008. "Currency Undervaluation and Sovereign Wealth Funds: A New Role for the World Trade Organization," Working Papers 142, Center for Global Development.
- Aaditya Mattoo & Arvind Subramanian, 2008. "Currency Undervaluation and Sovereign Wealth Funds: A New Role for the World Trade Organization," Working Paper Series WP08-2, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Frederick van der Ploeg, 2008.
"Challenges and Opportunities for Resource Rich Economies,"
OxCarre Working Papers
005, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- van der Ploeg, Frederick, 2006. "Challenges and Opportunities for Resource Rich Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 5688, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oec:devaab:38-en. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.