Budget Management That Counts: Recent Approaches to Budget and Fiscal Management in New Zealand
Budget management in New Zealand altered substantially with the implementation of the Public Finance Act 1989 and the Fiscal Responsibility Act 1994. The paper sets out the evolution of fiscal and budget management over the last ten years, in response to the fiscal policy and financial management framework. It focuses on the top-down management of spending aggregates and how this has evolved into the “fiscal provisions” framework. The paper concludes with an illustration of the challenges facing the provisions framework. Work is currently underway to consider the challenges that have arisen through its operation over the last five years. This paper is a companion paper to Treasury Working Paper 01/25 New Zealand’s Fiscal Policy Framework: Experience and Evolution by John Janssen.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: New Zealand Treasury, PO Box 3724, Wellington, New Zealand|
Phone: +64-4-472 2733
Fax: +64-4-473 0982
Web page: http://www.treasury.govt.nz
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert Buckle & Kunhong Kim & Julie Tam, 2002.
"A structural var approach to estimating budget balance targets,"
New Zealand Economic Papers,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(2), pages 149-175.
- Robert A Buckle & Kunhong Kim & Julie Tam, 2001. "A Structural VAR Approach to Estimating Budget Balance Targets," Treasury Working Paper Series 01/11, New Zealand Treasury.
- John Janssen, 2001. "New Zealand's Fiscal Policy Framework: Experience and Evolution," Treasury Working Paper Series 01/25, New Zealand Treasury.
- Julie Tam & Heather Kirkham, 2000. "Automatic Fiscal Stabilisers: Implications for New Zealand," Treasury Working Paper Series 01/10, New Zealand Treasury, revised 2001.
- Murray Petrie & David Webber, 2001. "Review of Evidence on Broad Outcome of Public Sector Management Regime," Treasury Working Paper Series 01/06, New Zealand Treasury.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nzt:nztwps:01/24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Web and Publishing Team, The Treasury)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.