Tradable permits for environmental protection: Case study of an integrated steel plant in India
Cost effective policies allow minimising the compliance costs associated to reaching a desired environmental quality target. In this paper a conceptual model has been developed to examine the compliance costs under an intra-plant emission trading system for a non-uniformly mixed assimilative pollutant. The model incorporates the number of emission sources, the concentration of pollutants emitted at each source, the marginal cost of abatement for each source, the transfer coefficient that relates emission at each source with the impact on ambient air quality, and the desired ambient air quality target. The model is applied to an integrated steel plant in India. Results of this study demonstrate that the emission trading is more cost effective than the existing regulatory system. Further, intra-plant trades would result in significant savings to the steel plant while securing an improvement in ambient air quality in the studied geographical area.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Montgomery, W. David, 1972. "Markets in licenses and efficient pollution control programs," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 395-418, December.
- Atkinson, Scott E. & Tietenberg, T. H., 1982. "The empirical properties of two classes of designs for transferable discharge permit markets," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 101-121, June.
- Baumol,William J. & Oates,Wallace E., 1988.
"The Theory of Environmental Policy,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521322249, September.
- Baumol,William J. & Oates,Wallace E., 1988. "The Theory of Environmental Policy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521311120, August.
- Bohm, Peter & Russell, Clifford S., 1985. "Comparative analysis of alternative policy instruments," Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics,in: A. V. Kneese† & J. L. Sweeney (ed.), Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 10, pages 395-460 Elsevier. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:npf:wpaper:00/2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (S.Siva Chidambaram)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.