Network Neutrality and Network Management Regulation: Quality of Service, Price Discrimination, and Exclusive Contracts
We compare four approaches to network neutrality and network management regulation in a two-sided market model: (i) no variations in Quality of Service and no price discrimination; (ii) variations in Quality of Service but no price discrimination; (iii) variations in Quality of Service and price discrimination but no exclusive contracts; and (iv) no regulation: the network operator can sell exclusive rights to content providers. We compare the equilibrium outcomes explicitly accounting for dynamic incentives to invest in improving the Quality of Service offered to each content provider. We provide a ranking Quality of Service and network operator profits across regimes.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming, Research Handbook on Governance of the Internet, Ian Brown (Ed.), Edward Elgar: London.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.NETinst.org/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hermalin, Benjamin E. & Katz, Michael L., 2007.
"The economics of product-line restrictions with an application to the network neutrality debate,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 215-248, June.
- Hermalin, Benjamin E & Katz, Michael L, 2006. "The Economics of Product-Line Restrictions With an Application to the Network Neutrality Debate," Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series qt81r3b7xs, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Choi, Jay & Kim, Byung-Cheol, 2008.
"Net Neutrality and Investment Incentives,"
Working Paper Series
4010, Victoria University of Wellington, The New Zealand Institute for the Study of Competition and Regulation.
- Krämer, Jan & Wiewiorra, Lukas, 2009. "Innovation through Discrimination!? A Formal Analysis of the Net Neutrality Debate," MPRA Paper 16655, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- M. Keith Chen & Barry J. Nalebuff, 2006.
"One-Way Essential Complements,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1588, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Christiaan Hogendorn, 2007.
"Broadband Internet: net neutrality versus open access,"
International Economics and Economic Policy,
Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 185-208, August.
- Christiaan Hogendorn, 2006. "Broadband Internet: Net Neutrality versus Open Access," Working Papers 2006-09, Center for Network Industries and Infrastructure (CNI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:net:wpaper:1102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicholas Economides)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.