Network Neutrality and Network Management Regulation: Quality of Service, Price Discrimination, and Exclusive Contracts
We compare four approaches to network neutrality and network management regulation in a two-sided market model: (i) no variations in Quality of Service and no price discrimination; (ii) variations in Quality of Service but no price discrimination; (iii) variations in Quality of Service and price discrimination but no exclusive contracts; and (iv) no regulation: the network operator can sell exclusive rights to content providers. We compare the equilibrium outcomes explicitly accounting for dynamic incentives to invest in improving the Quality of Service offered to each content provider. We provide a ranking Quality of Service and network operator profits across regimes.
|Date of creation:||05 Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Research Handbook on Governance of the Internet, Brown, Ian (eds.), 2012, chapter 6, Edward Elgar.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Research Institute of Industrial Economics, Box 55665, SE-102 15 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 8 665 4500
Fax: +46 8 665 4599
Web page: http://www.ifn.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keith M. Chen & Barry Nalebuff, 2006.
"One-Way Essential Complements,"
321307000000000669, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Jay Pil Choi & Byung-Cheol Kim, 2010.
"Net neutrality and investment incentives,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 41(3), pages 446-471.
- Jay Pil Choi & Byung-Cheol Kim, 2008. "Net Neutrality and Investment Incentives," Working Papers 08-03, NET Institute.
- Choi, Jay & Kim, Byung-Cheol, 2008. "Net Neutrality and Investment Incentives," Working Paper Series 4010, Victoria University of Wellington, The New Zealand Institute for the Study of Competition and Regulation.
- Jay Pil Choi & Byung-Cheol Kim, 2008. "Net Neutrality and Investment Incentives," CESifo Working Paper Series 2390, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hermalin, Benjamin E & Katz, Michael L, 2006.
"The Economics of Product-Line Restrictions With an Application to the Network Neutrality Debate,"
Competition Policy Center, Working Paper Series
qt81r3b7xs, Competition Policy Center, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Hermalin, Benjamin E. & Katz, Michael L., 2007. "The economics of product-line restrictions with an application to the network neutrality debate," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 215-248, June.
- Krämer, Jan & Wiewiorra, Lukas, 2009. "Innovation through Discrimination!? A Formal Analysis of the Net Neutrality Debate," MPRA Paper 16655, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christiaan Hogendorn, 2006.
"Broadband Internet: Net Neutrality versus Open Access,"
2006-09, Center for Network Industries and Infrastructure (CNI).
- Christiaan Hogendorn, 2007. "Broadband Internet: net neutrality versus open access," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 185-208, August.
- Chen, M. Keith & Nalebuff, Barry, 2006.
"One-Way Essential Complements,"
22, Yale University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:iuiwop:0890. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elisabeth Gustafsson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.