Tariffs and Growth in Late Nineteenth Century America
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Douglas A. Irwin, 2001. "Tariffs and Growth in Late Nineteenth Century America," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 15-30, January.
References listed on IDEAS
- David H. Romer & Jeffrey A. Frankel, 1999. "Does Trade Cause Growth?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 379-399, June.
- Irwin, Douglas A., 1998.
"Higher Tariffs, Lower Revenues? Analyzing the Fiscal Aspects of “The Great Tariff Debate of 1888”,"
The Journal of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 58(01), pages 59-72, March.
- Douglas A. Irwin, 1997. "Higher Tariffs, Lower Revenues? Analyzing the Fiscal Aspects of the "Great Tariff Debate of 1888"," NBER Working Papers 6239, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- O'Rourke, Kevin Hjortshøj, 1997. "Tariffs and Growth in the Late Nineteenth Century," CEPR Discussion Papers 1700, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francisco Rodriguez & Dani Rodrik, 1999. "Trade Policy and Economic Growth: A Skeptic's Guide to Cross-National Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7081, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Est-ce qu’un pays doit protéger ses industries naissantes pour se développer?
by minarchiste in Le Minarchiste on 2013-03-01 18:12:25
- Le culte des exportationsâ€¦
by Minarchiste in Le Minarchiste on 2013-07-26 16:41:50
- Redux: Est-ce qu’un pays doit protéger ses industries naissantes pour se développer?
by Minarchiste in Le Minarchiste on 2018-04-19 23:51:37
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carlo Pietrobelli & Silvia Nenci, 2007. "Does tariff liberalization promote trade? Latin America in the long run (1900-2000)," Working Papers 0704, CREI Università degli Studi Roma Tre, revised 2007.
- Douglas A. Irwin, 2002. "Interpreting the Tariff-Growth Correlation of the Late Nineteenth Century," NBER Working Papers 8739, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tena Junguito, Antonio, 2008.
"Bairoch revisited : tariff structure and growth in the late 19th century,"
IFCS - Working Papers in Economic History.WH
wp08-04, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Instituto Figuerola.
- Tena-Junguito, Antonio, 2009. "Bairoch revisited: tariff structure and growth in the late 19th century," Economic History Working Papers 27869, London School of Economics and Political Science, Department of Economic History.
- repec:spr:laecrv:v:27:y:2018:i:1:d:10.1007_s40503-017-0050-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Prema-Chandra Athukorala, 2011.
"Trade Liberalisation and The Poverty of Nations: A Review Article,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(3), pages 533-543.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2010. "Trade Liberalisation and The Poverty of Nations: A Review Article," Departmental Working Papers 2010-01, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Yilmaz AkyÃƒÂ¼z, 2005. "The WTO Negotiations on Industrial Tariffs : What is at Stake for Developing Countries?," Trade Working Papers 22080, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Raymond G. Riezman & John Whalley & Shunming Zhang, 2013.
"Metrics capturing the degree to which individual economies are globalized,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(36), pages 5046-5061, December.
- Raymond Riezman & John Whalley & Shunming Zhang, 2005. "Metrics Capturing the Degree to which Individual Economies are Globalized," CESifo Working Paper Series 1450, CESifo Group Munich.
- Raymond Riezman & John Whalley & Shunming Zhang, 2008. "Metrics Capturing the Degree to Which Individual Economies Are Globalized," University of Western Ontario, Economic Policy Research Institute Working Papers 20085, University of Western Ontario, Economic Policy Research Institute.
- Crafts, Nicholas, 2012. "British relative economic decline revisited: The role of competition," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 17-29.
- Antonio Tena Junguito, 2010.
"Tariff History Lessons from the European Periphery. Protection Intensity and the Infant Industry Argument in Spain and Italy 1870-1930,"
Historical Social Research (Section 'Cliometrics'),
Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC), vol. 35(1), pages 340-363.
- Tena Junguito, Antonio, 2006. "Tariff history lessons from the European periphery. protection intensity and the infant industry argument in Spain and Italy 1870-1930," IFCS - Working Papers in Economic History.WH wp06-08, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Instituto Figuerola.
- Yilmaz Akyuz, 2005. "The WTO Negotiations on Industrial Tariffs: What is at Stake for Developing Countries?," Working Papers 2005/8, Turkish Economic Association.
- Nicholas Crafts & Anthony Venables, 2003.
"Globalization in History.A Geographical Perspective,"
NBER Chapters,in: Globalization in Historical Perspective, pages 323-370
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Crafts, Nicholas & Venables, Anthony J, 2001. "Globalization in History: A Geographical Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 3079, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nicholas Crafts & Anthony J. Venables, 2002. "Globalization in History: A Geographical Perspective," CEP Discussion Papers dp0524, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Crafts, Nicholas & Venables, Tony, 2002. "Globalization in history: a geographical perspective," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2135, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Michael A. Clemens & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 2001. "A Tariff-Growth Paradox? Protection's Impact the World Around 1875-1997," NBER Working Papers 8459, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Agustina Rayes, 2018. "The Trade Policy of Argentina, 1870-1913. A Study through Customs Legislation," CEH Discussion Papers 06, Centre for Economic History, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
More about this item
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- N11 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - U.S.; Canada: Pre-1913
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2000-05-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2000-05-16 (Development)
- NEP-HIS-2000-05-16 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:7639. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: () or (Joanne Lustig). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/nberrus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.