A Genral Model of Dynamic Labor Demand
This study derives and estimates a dynamic model of factor demand that includes both fixed and quadratic variable costs of adjustment. Using quarterly data on the employment of mechanics at seven airlines, it finds that both types of adjustment costs characterize the dynamic constraints facing employers. Using monthly data covering production-worker employment in seven manufacturing plants, it shows that only fixed costs are important. The apparent diversity of the underlying costs of adjustment means it is difficult to draw useful inferences from macroeconometric estimates. It suggests the importance of examining broader arrays of microeconomic time series describing labor demand.
|Date of creation:||May 1990|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Review of Economics and Statistics, Vol.74, No. 4, pp.733-737,(Nov.1992).|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davidson, Russell & Harris, Richard, 1981. "Non-Convexities in Continuous-Time Investment Theory," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(2), pages 235-53, April.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S., 1990.
"Aggregate employment dynamics and lumpy adjustment costs,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 93-129, January.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, 1990. "Aggregate Employment Dynamcis and Lumpy Adjustment Costs," NBER Working Papers 3229, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rothschild, Michael, 1971. "On the Cost of Adjustment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 605-22, November.
- Trivedi, Pravin K, 1985. "Distributed Lags, Aggregation, and Compounding: Some Econometric Implications," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(1), pages 19-35, January.
- Nickell, Stephen, 1984. "An Investigation of the Determinants of Manufacturing Employment in the United Kingdom," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(4), pages 529-57, October.
- David Card, 1986.
"Efficient Contracts with Costly Adjustment: Short-RUn Employment Determination for Airline Mechanics,"
NBER Working Papers
1931, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Card, David, 1986. "Efficient Contracts with Costly Adjustment: Short-run Employment Determination for Airline Mechanics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 1045-71, December.
- Robert F. Engle & Ta-Chung Liu, 1972. "Effects of Aggregation Over Time on Dynamic Characteristics of an Econometric Model," NBER Chapters, in: Econometric Models of Cyclical Behavior, Volumes 1 and 2, pages 673-737 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:3356. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.