On the Inception of Rational Bubbles in Stock Prices
This paper analyzes the theoretical possibility of rational bubbles in stock prices in a model in which stockholders have infinite planning horizons and in which free disposal of equity rules out the existence of negative rational bubbles. The analysis shows that in this framework if a positive rational bubble exists, then it started on the first date of trading of the stock. Thus, the existence of a rational bubble at any date would imply that the stock has been overvalued relative to market fundamentals since the first date of trading and that prior to the first date of trading potential stockholders who anticipated the initial pricing of the stock expected that the stock would be overvalued relative to market fundamentals. The analysis also shows that any rational bubble will eventually burst and will not restart. Thus, even if a positive rational bubble exists, stockholders know that after a random, but almost surely finite, date the stock price will conform to market fundamentals forever.
|Date of creation:||Jul 1986|
|Publication status:||published as Diba and Grossman, "The Theory of Rational Bubbles in Stock Prices," from Economic Journal, Vol. 98, No. 3, September 1988.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean, 1979. "Speculative bubbles, crashes and rational expectations," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 387-389.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 1983.
"Speculative Hyperinflations in Maximizing Models: Can We Rule Them Out?,"
12491027, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1983. "Speculative Hyperinflations in Maximizing Models: Can We Rule Them Out?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(4), pages 675-687, August.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1981. "Speculative hyperinflations in a maximizing models: can we rule them out?," International Finance Discussion Papers 195, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1982. "Speculative Hyperinflations in Maximizing Models: Can We Rule Them Out?," NBER Working Papers 0855, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Mussa, 1984. "Rational Expectations Models with a Continuum of Convergent Solutions," NBER Technical Working Papers 0041, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth D. West, 1986.
"A Specification Test for Speculative Bubbles,"
NBER Working Papers
2067, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1975.
"Rational Expectations and the Dynamic Structure of Macroeconomic Models:A Critical Review,"
NBER Working Papers
0093, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shiller, Robert J., 1978. "Rational expectations and the dynamic structure of macroeconomic models : A critical review," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 1-44, January.
- Behzad T. Diba & Herschel I. Grossman, 1986.
"Rational Inflationary Bubbles,"
NBER Working Papers
2004, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flood, Robert P & Garber, Peter M, 1980. "Market Fundamentals versus Price-Level Bubbles: The First Tests," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(4), pages 745-770, August.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-1445, November.
- Jo Anna Gray, 1982.
"Dynamic instability in rational expectations models: an attempt to clarify,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
197, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gray, Jo Anna, 1984. "Dynamic Instability in Rational Expectations Models: An Attempt to Clarify," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(1), pages 93-122, February.
- Tirole, Jean, 1982. "On the Possibility of Speculation under Rational Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1163-1181, September.
- Tirole, Jean, 1985. "Asset Bubbles and Overlapping Generations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1499-1528, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:1990. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.