The Cost of Capital for Alternative Investments
We document that the risks and pre-fee returns of broad hedge fund indices can be accurately matched with simple equity index put writing strategies, which provide monthly liquidity and complete transparency over their state-contingent payoff profiles. This nonlinear risk exposure combines with large allocations, typical among investors in alternatives, to produce required rates of return that are more than twice as large as those implied by popular linear factor models. Despite earning annualized excess returns over 6% between 1996 and 2010, many hedge fund investors have not covered their proper cost of capital.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Publication status:||published as JUREK, J. W. and STAFFORD, E. (2015), The Cost of Capital for Alternative Investments. The Journal of Finance, 70: 2185–2226. doi:10.1111/jofi.12269|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Josh Lerner & Antoinette Schoar & Jialan Wang, 2008.
"Secrets of the Academy: The Drivers of University Endowment Success,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 22(3), pages 207-222, Summer.
- Josh Lerner & Antoinette Schoar & Jialan Wang, 2008. "Secrets of the Academy: The Drivers of University Endowment Success," NBER Working Papers 14341, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frazzini, Andrea & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2014.
"Betting against beta,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 111(1), pages 1-25.
- Getmansky, Mila & Lo, Andrew & Makarov, Igor, 2003.
"An Econometric Model of Serial Correlation and Illiquidity In Hedge Fund Returns,"
4288-03, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Getmansky, Mila & Lo, Andrew W. & Makarov, Igor, 2004. "An econometric model of serial correlation and illiquidity in hedge fund returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 529-609, December.
- Mila Getmansky & Andrew W. Lo & Igor Makarov, 2003. "An Econometric Model of Serial Correlation and Illiquidity in Hedge Fund Returns," NBER Working Papers 9571, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew J. Patton, 2002.
"On the out-of-sample importance of skewness and asymetric dependence for asset allocation,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
24951, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Andrew J. Patton, 2004. "On the Out-of-Sample Importance of Skewness and Asymmetric Dependence for Asset Allocation," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(1), pages 130-168.
- Campbell R. Harvey & Akhtar Siddique, 2000. "Conditional Skewness in Asset Pricing Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1263-1295, 06.
- Lionel Martellini & Volker Ziemann, 2010. "Improved Estimates of Higher-Order Comoments and Implications for Portfolio Selection," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(4), pages 1467-1502, April.
- Fung, William & Hsieh, David A, 2001. "The Risk in Hedge Fund Strategies: Theory and Evidence from Trend Followers," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 14(2), pages 313-41.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan, 1993.
"A contingent claim approach to performance evaluation,"
159, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Glosten, L. R. & Jagannathan, R., 1994. "A contingent claim approach to performance evaluation," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 133-160, January.
- Xavier Gabaix, 2009.
"Power Laws in Economics and Finance,"
Annual Review of Economics,
Annual Reviews, vol. 1(1), pages 255-294, 05.
- Gaurav Amin & Harry. M Kat, 2001.
"Hedge Fund Performance 1990-2000- Do the "Money Machines" Really Add Value?,"
ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance
icma-dp2001-05, Henley Business School, Reading University, revised Sep 2001.
- Amin, Gaurav S. & Kat, Harry M., 2003. "Hedge Fund Performance 1990–2000: Do the “Money Machines” Really Add Value?," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(02), pages 251-274, June.
- Santa-Clara, Pedro & Saretto, Alessio, 2004.
"Option Strategies: Good Deals and Margin Calls,"
University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management
qt0499w44p, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Robert C. Merton, 2005.
"Theory of rational option pricing,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Theory Of Valuation, chapter 8, pages 229-288
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Merton, Robert C, 1981. "On Market Timing and Investment Performance. I. An Equilibrium Theory of Value for Market Forecasts," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(3), pages 363-406, July.
- Kenneth R. French, 2008. "Presidential Address: The Cost of Active Investing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(4), pages 1537-1573, 08.
- Jarque, Carlos M. & Bera, Anil K., 1980. "Efficient tests for normality, homoscedasticity and serial independence of regression residuals," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 255-259.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974.
"On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-470, May.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973. "On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates," Working papers 684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Gurdip Bakshi & Nikunj Kapadia, 2003. "Delta-Hedged Gains and the Negative Market Volatility Risk Premium," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(2), pages 527-566.
- Viktor Todorov, 2010. "Variance Risk-Premium Dynamics: The Role of Jumps," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(1), pages 345-383, January.
- Vikas Agarwal, 2004. "Risks and Portfolio Decisions Involving Hedge Funds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(1), pages 63-98.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:19643. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.