Sin Taxes: Do Heterogeneous Responses Undercut Their Value?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Morduch, Jonathan J. & Stern, Hal S., 1997.
"Using mixture models to detect sex bias in health outcomes in Bangladesh,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 259-276, March.
- Jonathan J. Morduch & Hall S. Stern, 1995. "Using Mixture Models to Detect Sex Bias in Health Outcomes in Bangladesh," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1728, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Morduch, J. & Stern, H.S., 1995. "Using Mixture Models to Detect Sex Bias in Health Outcomes in Bangladesh," Papers 513, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Wang, Peiming & Cockburn, Iain M & Puterman, Martin L, 1998. "Analysis of Patent Data--A Mixed-Poisson-Regression-Model Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(1), pages 27-41, January.
- Michael T. French & Johanna C. Maclean, 2006. "Underage alcohol use, delinquency, and criminal activity," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(12), pages 1261-1281.
- Grossman, Michael & Chaloupka, Frank J & Sirtalan, Ismail, 1998.
"An Empirical Analysis of Alcohol Addiction: Results from the Monitoring the Future Panels,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 36(1), pages 39-48, January.
- Michael Grossman & Frank J. Chaloupka & Ismail Sirtalan, 1995. "An Empirical Analysis of Alcohol Addiction: Results from the Monitoring the Future Panels," NBER Working Papers 5200, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Henry Saffer & Dhaval Dave, 2005.
"Mental Illness and the Demand for Alcohol, Cocaine, and Cigarettes,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 43(2), pages 229-246, April.
- Henry Saffer & Dhaval Dave, 2002. "Mental Illness and the Demand for Alcohol, Cocaine and Cigarettes," NBER Working Papers 8699, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Young, Douglas J & Bieli´nska-Kwapisz, Agnieszka, 2002. "Alcohol Taxes and Beverage Prices," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 55(1), pages 57-73, March.
- Young, Douglas J & Bieli´nska-Kwapisz, Agnieszka, 2002. "Alcohol Taxes and Beverage Prices," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 55(N. 1), pages 57-73, March.
- Jonathan Gruber & Botond Koszegi, 2000. "Is Addiction "Rational"? Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7507, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gruber Jonathan H & Mullainathan Sendhil, 2005. "Do Cigarette Taxes Make Smokers Happier," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-45, July.
- Manning, Willard G. & Blumberg, Linda & Moulton, Lawrence H., 1995. "The demand for alcohol: The differential response to price," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 123-148, June.
- Donald S. Kenkel, 2005. "Are Alcohol Tax Hikes Fully Passed Through to Prices? Evidence from Alaska," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(2), pages 273-277, May.
- Joni Hersch, 2005. "Smoking Restrictions as a Self-Control Mechanism," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 5-21, July.
- F. Thomas Juster & Richard Suzman, 1995. " An Overview of the Health and Retirement Study," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 30, pages s7-s56.
- Dhaval Dave & Henry Saffer, 2007. "Risk Tolerance and Alcohol Demand Among Adults and Older Adults," NBER Working Papers 13482, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert B. Barsky & F. Thomas Juster & Miles S. Kimball & Matthew D. Shapiro, 1997. "Preference Parameters and Behavioral Heterogeneity: An Experimental Approach in the Health and Retirement Study," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(2), pages 537-579.
- Wedel, M, et al, 1993. "A Latent Class Poisson Regression Model for Heterogeneous Count Data," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 397-411, Oct.-Dec..
- Conway, Karen Smith & Deb, Partha, 2005.
"Is prenatal care really ineffective? Or, is the 'devil' in the distribution?,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 489-513, May.
- Partha Deb & Karen Smith Conway, 2002. "Is Prenatal Care Really Ineffective? Or, is the 'Devil' in the Distribution?," Economics Working Paper Archive at Hunter College 02/2, Hunter College Department of Economics.
- Frank J. Chaloupka & Henry Wechsler, 1996. "Binge Drinking In College: The Impact Of Price, Availability, And Alcohol Control Policies," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 14(4), pages 112-124, October.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Johansson, Per & Pekkarinen, Tuomas & Verho, Jouko, 2014.
"Cross-border health and productivity effects of alcohol policies,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 125-136.
- Johansson, Per & Pekkarinen, Tuomas & Verho, Jouko Kullervo, 2012. "Cross-Border Health and Productivity Effects of Alcohol Policies," IZA Discussion Papers 6389, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Johansson, Per & Pekkarinen, Tuomas & Verho, Jouko, 2012. "Cross-border health and productivity effects of alcohol policies," Working Paper Series 2012:10, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Andrew E. Clark & Yarine Fawaz, 2015. "Retirement and the Marginal Utility of Income," Working Papers halshs-01189009, HAL.
- Haavio, Markus & Kotakorpi, Kaisa, 2011. "The political economy of sin taxes," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 575-594, May.
- Andrew E. Clark & Yarine Fawaz, 2015. "Retirement and the Marginal Utility of Income," PSE Working Papers halshs-01189009, HAL.
- Barrie M. Craven & Michael L. Marlow & Alden F. Shiers, 2013. "The Economics of Minimum Pricing for Alcohol," Economic Affairs, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(2), pages 174-189, June.
- Henry Saffer & Dhaval Dave & Michael Grossman, 2012. "Behavioral Economics and the Demand for Alcohol: Results from the NLSY97," NBER Working Papers 18180, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jason M. Fletcher & Partha Deb & Jody L. Sindelar, 2009. "Tobacco Use, Taxation and Self Control in Adolescence," NBER Working Papers 15130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cahuana-Hurtado, Lucero & Sosa-Rubi, Sandra & Rubalcava-Peñafiel, Luis & Panopoulou, Panagiota & Rodriguez-Oliveros, Guadalupe & Servan-Mori, Edson, 2013. "Understanding the heterogeneous nature of the demand for soft drinks in Mexico: why social determinants also matter," MPRA Paper 61274, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 2014.
More about this item
- I1 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-07-11 (All new papers)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:15124. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: () or (Joanne Lustig). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/nberrus.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.