Globalization and Income Distribution: A Specific Factors Continuum Approach
Does globalization widen inequality or increase income risk? In the specific factors continuum model of this paper, globalization widens inequality, amplifying the positive (negative) premia for export (import- competing) sectors. Globalization amplifies the risk from idiosyncratic relative productivity shocks but reduces risk from aggregate shocks to absolute advantage, relative endowments and transfers. Aggregate-shock-induced income risk bears most heavily on the poorest specific factors, while non-traded sectors are insulated. Heterogeneous shocks to firms induce Darwinian competition for sector specific factors that is harsher the more productive the sector. Wage bargaining implies within-sector wage dispersion that falls or rises with export intensity depending on the joint distribution of sectoral and firm shocks.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as The Specific Factors Continuum Model, with Implications for Globalization and Income Risk James E. Anderson Revised, July 2011 Journal of International Economics, 85, 174-85.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.orgEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric Verhoogen, 2007.
"Trade, quality upgrading and wage inequality in the Mexican manufacturing sector,"
0607-08, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Eric A. Verhoogen, 2008. "Trade, Quality Upgrading, and Wage Inequality in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 123(2), pages 489-530, 05.
- Verhoogen, Eric, 2007. "Trade, Quality Upgrading and Wage Inequality in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector," IZA Discussion Papers 2913, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Verhoogen, Eric A, 2007. "Trade, Quality Upgrading and Wage Inequality in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector," CEPR Discussion Papers 6385, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Arnaud Costinot & Jonathan Vogel, 2010.
"Matching and Inequality in the World Economy,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 118(4), pages 747-786, 08.
- Arnaud Costinot & Jonathan Vogel, 2009. "Matching and Inequality in the World Economy," NBER Working Papers 14672, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Vogel & Arnaud Costinot, 2008. "Matching and Inequality in the World Economy," 2008 Meeting Papers 879, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Harold L. Cole & Maurice Obstfeld, 1989.
"Commodity Trade and International Risk Sharing: How Much Do Financial Markets Matter?,"
NBER Working Papers
3027, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cole, Harold L. & Obstfeld, Maurice, 1991. "Commodity trade and international risk sharing : How much do financial markets matter?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 3-24, August.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Razin, Assaf, 1978. "A theory of international trade under uncertainty," MPRA Paper 22112, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1992.
"Protection for Sale,"
162, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Grossman, Gene & Helpman, Elhanan, 1993. "Protection for Sale," CEPR Discussion Papers 827, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1992. "Protection For Sale," NBER Working Papers 4149, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1992. "Protection for Sale," Papers 21-92, Tel Aviv.
- Neary, J Peter, 1978. "Short-Run Capital Specificity and the Pure Theory of International Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(351), pages 488-510, September.
- Besedes, Tibor & Prusa, Thomas J., 2006. "Product differentiation and duration of US import trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 339-358, December.
- Chris Milner & Verena Tandrayen, 2007. "The Impact of Exporting and Export Destination on Manufacturing Wages: Evidence for Sub-Saharan Africa," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 13-30, 02.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Fischer, Stanley & Samuelson, Paul A, 1980. "Heckscher- Ohlin Trade Theory with a Continuum of Goods," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 95(2), pages 203-24, September.
- James E. Anderson, 2009.
"Gravity, Productivity and the Pattern of Production and Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
14642, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Anderson, 2008. "Gravity, Productivity and the Pattern of Production and Trade," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 700, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jonathan Eaton & Gene M. Grossman, 1981.
"Tariffs as Insurance: Optimal Commercial Policy When Domestic Markets Are Incomplete,"
NBER Working Papers
0797, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Eaton & Gene M. Grossman, 1985. "Tariffs as Insurance: Optimal Commercial Policy When Domestic Markets Are Incomplete," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 18(2), pages 258-72, May.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldbe & Giovanni Maggi, 1997.
"Protection for Sale: An Empirical Investigation,"
NBER Working Papers
5942, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Emily Blanchard & Gerald Willmann, 2013.
"Trade, Education, and the Shrinking Middle Class,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4141, CESifo Group Munich.
- Meng-Wen Tsou & Jin-Tan Liu & Cliff J. Huang, 2006. "Export Activity, Firm Size and Wage Structure: Evidence from Taiwanese Manufacturing Firms ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 333-354, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:14643. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.