The Economics of Earnings Manipulation and Managerial Compensation
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Keith J. Crocker & Joel Slemrod, 2007. "The economics of earnings manipulation and managerial compensation," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 38(3), pages 698-713, September.
References listed on IDEAS
- Lacker, Jeffrey M & Weinberg, John A, 1989.
"Optimal Contracts under Costly State Falsification,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(6), pages 1345-1363, December.
- Lacker, J.M., 1989. "Optimal Contracts Under Costly State Falsification," Purdue University Economics Working Papers 956, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Jewitt, Ian, 1988. "Justifying the First-Order Approach to Principal-Agent Problems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(5), pages 1177-1190, September.
- Crocker, Keith J. & Slemrod, Joel, 2005. "Corporate tax evasion with agency costs," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(9-10), pages 1593-1610, September.
- Myerson, Roger B, 1979.
"Incentive Compatibility and the Bargaining Problem,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 61-73, January.
- Roger B. Myerson, 1977. "Incentive Compatability and the Bargaining Problem," Discussion Papers 284, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Steven Shavell, 1979. "Risk Sharing and Incentives in the Principal and Agent Relationship," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 55-73, Spring.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Myerson, Roger B., 1982. "Optimal coordination mechanisms in generalized principal-agent problems," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 67-81, June.
- Gresik, Thomas A. & Nelson, Douglas R., 1994.
"Incentive compatible regulation of a foreign-owned subsidiary,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(3-4), pages 309-331, May.
- Gresik, T.A. & Nelson, D.R., 1991. "Incentive Compatible Regulation of a Foreign-Owned Subsidiary," Papers 5-91-3, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Keith J. Crocker & John Morgan, 1998. "Is Honesty the Best Policy? Curtailing Insurance Fraud through Optimal Incentive Contracts," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(2), pages 355-375, April.
- Guesnerie, Roger & Laffont, Jean-Jacques, 1984. "A complete solution to a class of principal-agent problems with an application to the control of a self-managed firm," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 329-369, December.
- Alexander, Cindy R. & Cohen, Mark A., 1999. "Why do corporations become criminals? Ownership, hidden actions, and crime as an agency cost," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 1-34, March.
- Claudio Mezzetti, 2004. "Mechanism Design with Interdependent Valuations: Efficiency," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(5), pages 1617-1626, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kwon, Illoong & Yeo, Eunjung, 2009. "Overstatement and rational market expectation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 9-12, July.
- Corgnet, Brice & Rodriguez-Lara, Ismael, 2013.
"Are you a good employee or simply a good guy? Influence costs and contract design,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 92(C), pages 259-272.
- Brice Corgnet & Ismael Rodriguez Lara, 2009. "Are you a good employee or simply a good guy? Influence Costs and Contract Design," Faculty Working Papers 13/09, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Brice Corgnet & Ismael Rodriguez-Lara, 2012. "Are you a Good Employee or Simply a Good Guy? Infl?uence Costs and Contract Design," Working Papers 12-02, Chapman University, Economic Science Institute.
- Andersson Fredrik, 2011.
"Make-or-Buy Decisions and the Manipulability of Performance Measures,"
The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 1-30, December.
- Andersson, Fredrik, 2009. "Make-or-buy Decisions and the Manipulability of Performance Measures," Working Paper Series 815, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Andersson, Fredrik, 2009. "Make-or-buy decisions and the manipulability of performance measures," Working Papers 2009:16, Lund University, Department of Economics, revised 20 Nov 2009.
- Liu, Qi & Sun, Bo, 2015. "Managerial compensation under privately-observed hedging and earnings management," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 137(C), pages 1-4.
- Michael Hilmer, 2014. "Bailouts, Bonuses and Bankers' Short-Termism," Working Papers tax-mpg-rps-2014-17, Max Planck Institute for Tax Law and Public Finance.
- Rhodes, Adrienne, 2016. "The relation between earnings-based measures in firm debt contracts and CEO pay sensitivity to earnings," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 1-22.
- repec:eee:reveco:v:49:y:2017:i:c:p:437-452 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cathy Beaudoin & Anna Cianci & George Tsakumis, 2015. "The Impact of CFOs’ Incentives and Earnings Management Ethics on their Financial Reporting Decisions: The Mediating Role of Moral Disengagement," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 128(3), pages 505-518, May.
- De Chiara, Alessandro & Livio, Luca, 2017.
"The threat of corruption and the optimal supervisory task,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 133(C), pages 172-186.
- Alessandro De Chiara & Luca Livio, 2015. "The Threat of Corruption and the Optimal Supervisory Task," Working Papers ECARES ECARES 2015-37, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- repec:eee:jaecon:v:63:y:2017:i:2:p:253-261 is not listed on IDEAS
- Daniel Herold, 2017. "The Impact of Incentive Pay on Corporate Crime," MAGKS Papers on Economics 201752, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung).
- Robert Jones & Yan Wu, 2010. "Executive compensation, earnings management and shareholder litigation," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 1-20, July.
- Sun, Bo, 2014.
"Executive compensation and earnings management under moral hazard,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 41(C), pages 276-290.
- Bo Sun, 2009. "Executive compensation and earnings management under moral hazard," International Finance Discussion Papers 985, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Subrata Chakrabarty, 2015. "The Influence of Unrelated and Related Diversification on Fraudulent Reporting," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 131(4), pages 815-832, November.
- Andergassen, Rainer, 2010.
"Product market competition, incentives and fraudulent behavior,"
Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 201-204, May.
- R. Andergassen, 2008. "Product Market Competition, Incentives and Fraudulent Behavior," Working Papers 638, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Laszlo Goerke, 2008.
"Tax Overpayments, Tax Evasion, and Book-Tax Differences,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 10(4), pages 643-671, August.
- Laszlo Goerke, 2008. "Tax Overpayments, Tax Evasion, and Book-Tax Differences," CESifo Working Paper Series 2212, CESifo Group Munich.
- Josef Schroth, 2015. "Managerial Compensation Duration and Stock Price Manipulation," Staff Working Papers 15-25, Bank of Canada.
- Anne Beyer & Ilan Guttman & Iván Marinovic, 2014. "Optimal Contracts with Performance Manipulation," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(4), pages 817-847, September.
- Andergassen, Rainer, 2016. "Managerial compensation, product market competition and fraud," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 1-15.
- repec:oup:rcorpf:v:4:y:2015:i:1:p:108-154. is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:reveco:v:49:y:2017:i:c:p:190-210 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eee:jaecon:v:64:y:2017:i:1:p:1-14 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ralph-C. Bayer, 2017. "The Double Dividend of Relative Auditing – Theory and Experiments on Corporate Tax Enforcement," School of Economics Working Papers 2017-14, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
More about this item
- A12 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Relation of Economics to Other Disciplines
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:12645. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/nberrus.html .