The Efficiency Gains from Dynamic Tax Reform
This paper presents a new simulation methodology for determining the pure efficiency gains from tax reform along the general. equilibrium rational expectations growth path of life cycle economies. The principal findings concern the effects of switching from a proportional income tax with rates similar to those in the U.S. to either a proportional tax on consumption or a proportional tax on labor income. A switch to consumption taxation generates a sustainable welfare gain of almost 2 percent of lifetime resources. In contrast, a transition to wage taxation generates a loss of greater than ? percent of lifetime re- sources. A second general result is that even a mild degree of progressivity in the income tax system imposes a very large efficiency cost.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1981|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Auerbach, Alan J., Laurence J. Kotlikoff and Jonathan Skinner. "The Efficiency Gains from Dynamic Tax Reform." International Economic Review, Vol. 24 , No. 1, (February 1983), pp. 81-100.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan J. Auerbach & Laurence J. Kotlikoff, 1983.
"National Savings, Economic Welfare, and the Structure of Taxation,"
in: Behavioral Simulation Methods in Tax Policy Analysis, pages 459-498
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Lawrence Kotlikoff, 1980. "National Savings, Economic Welfare, and the Structure of Taxation," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 570, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Laurence J. Kotlikoff, 1981. "National Savings, Economic Welfare, and the Structure of Taxation," NBER Working Papers 0729, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Atkinson, A B & Sandmo, A, 1980. "Welfare Implications of the Taxation of Savings," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(359), pages 529-49, September.
- Christophe Chamley, 1980.
"The Welfare Cost of Capital Income Taxation in a Growing Economy,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
553, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Chamley, Christophe, 1981. "The Welfare Cost of Capital Income Taxation in a Growing Economy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(3), pages 468-96, June.
- Weber, Warren E, 1970. "The Effect of Interest Rates on Aggregate Consumption," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(4), pages 591-600, September.
- Weber, Warren E, 1975. "Interest Rates, Inflation, and Consumer Expenditures," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(5), pages 843-58, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:0819. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.