Asset Holdings and the Life Cycle
Empirical studies of the life cycle savings model have tended to rej ect the hypothesis of a "hump-shaped" pattern for the wealth-age profile. In this paper we show, using new data on net worth for 12,734 families, that there is evidence that wealth declines after retirement provided that we control for differences in permanent income and take account of sample selection bias. The estimated rates of decumulation are consistent with a life cycle model in which there is uncertainty about the date of death.
|Date of creation:||Jan 1981|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as King, M. A. and Dicks-Mireaux, L-D. L. "Asset Holdings and the Life Cycle." Economic Journal, Vol. 92, No. 366 (June 1982), pp. 247-267.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benjamin Eden & Ariel Pakes, 1981.
"On Measuring the Variance-Age Profile of Lifetime Earnings,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
196, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Eden, Benjamin & Pakes, Ariel, 1981. "On Measuring the Variance-Age Profile of Lifetime Earnings," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(3), pages 385-94, July.
- Levhari, David & Mirman, Leonard J, 1977. "Savings and Consumption with an Uncertain Horizon," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(2), pages 265-81, April.
- Atkinson, A B, 1971. "The Distribution of Wealth and the Individual Life-cycle," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(2), pages 239-54, July.
- Kotlikoff, Laurence J, 1979. "Testing the Theory of Social Security and Life Cycle Accumulation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(3), pages 396-410, June.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Melino, Angelo, 1982. "Testing for Sample Selection Bias," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 151-53, January.
- Greene, William H, 1981. "Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error: Comment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 795-98, May.
- Diamond, P. A., 1977. "A framework for social security analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 275-298, December.
- Davies, James B, 1981. "Uncertain Lifetime, Consumption, and Dissaving in Retirement," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(3), pages 561-77, June.
- Hall, Robert E, 1978. "Stochastic Implications of the Life Cycle-Permanent Income Hypothesis: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 971-87, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:0614. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.