Education: Consumption or Production
It can be claimed that education is simply a normal consumption good and that like all other normal goods, an increase in wealth will produce an increase in the amount of schooling purchased. Increased incomes are associated with higher schooling attainment as the simple result of an income effect. If this is so, schooling increases an individual's wealth only by the consumption value of the good, since it is a non-saleable asset. This paper will attempt to determine empirically the amount by which an increase in wealth is caused by schooling as distinguished from the amount by which the demand for schooling increases as the result of an increase in wealth.
|Date of creation:||Sep 1975|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Lazear, Edward. "Education: Consumption or Production." Journal of Political Economy, (June 1977). Journal of Political Economy. vol.85, no. 3, pp.569-597, June 1977|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert T. Michael, 1974. "Education and the Derived Demand for Children," NBER Chapters, in: Economics of the Family: Marriage, Children, and Human Capital, pages 120-159 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward P. Lazear, 1975. "Schooling as a Wage Depressant," NBER Working Papers 0092, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bowles, Samuel, 1972. "Schooling and Inequality from Generation to Generation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(3), pages S219-S51, Part II, .
- Levhari, David & Weiss, Yoram, 1974. "The Effect of Risk on the Investment in Human Capital," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(6), pages 950-63, December.
- Griliches, Zvi & Mason, William M, 1972. "Education, Income, and Ability," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(3), pages S74-S103, Part II, .
- Welch, F, 1970. "Education in Production," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(1), pages 35-59, Jan.-Feb..
- Benham, Lee, 1974. "Benefits of Women's Education within Marriage," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(2), pages S57-S71, Part II, .
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:0104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.