The Variances of Regression Coefficient Estimates Using Aggregate Data
This paper considers the effect of aggregation on the variance of parameter estimates for a linear regression model with random coefficients and an additive error term. Aggregate and microvariances are compared and measures of relative efficiency are introduced. Necessary conditions for efficient aggregation procedures are obtained from the Theil aggregation weights and from measures of synchronization related to the work of Grunfeld and Griliches.
|Date of creation:||Oct 1974|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Econometrica, Vol. 44, no. 2 (1976): 353-364.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feige, Edgar L & Watts, Harold W, 1972. "An Investigation of the Consequences of Partial Aggregation of Micro-Economic Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(2), pages 343-60, March.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1971. "The Estimation of the Variances in a Variance-Components Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 12(1), pages 1-13, February.
- Swamy, P A V B & Arora, S S, 1972. "The Exact Finite Sample Properties of the Estimators of Coefficients in the Error Components Regression Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(2), pages 261-75, March.
- Swamy, P A V B, 1970.
"Efficient Inference in a Random Coefficient Regression Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 38(2), pages 311-23, March.
- Tom Doan, . "SWAMY: RATS procedure to compute a GLS matrix weighted estimator for a panel data set," Statistical Software Components RTS00206, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Aigner, Dennis J & Goldfeld, Stephen M, 1974. "Estimation and Prediction from Aggregate Data when Aggregates are Measured More Accurately than Their Components," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(1), pages 113-34, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:0060. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.