On the origins of the Franco-German EMU controversies
EMU is, to a large extent, the result of a process of Franco-German reconciliation and understanding. However, in the postwar period, there were significant differences in ideas and economic policy-making in Germany and France. France was dominated by the "tradition républicaine", giving a central role to the state in economic life. In Germany, the federal structure of the state went together with the social market economy. In this paper an analysis is presented of these differences in thought and economic policy-making, how they evolved through time, and how they contributed to shaping the nature and form of the European Union. The focus is on the Rome Treaties, the Werner Report and the Maastricht Treaty process.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Boulevard de Berlaimont 14, B-1000 Bruxelles|
Phone: (+ 32) (0) 2 221 25 34
Fax: (+ 32) (0) 2 221 31 62
Web page: https://www.nbb.be/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierre Rosanvallon, 1987. "Histoire des idées keynésiennes en France," Revue Française d'Économie, Programme National Persée, vol. 2(4), pages 22-56.
- Barro, Robert J & Gordon, David B, 1983.
"A Positive Theory of Monetary Policy in a Natural Rate Model,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(4), pages 589-610, August.
- Robert J. Barro & David B. Gordon, 1981. "A Positive Theory of Monetary Policy in a Natural-Rate Model," NBER Working Papers 0807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christian Noyer, 1992. "À propos du statut et de l'indépendance des Banques centrales," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 22(3), pages 13-18.
- Eijffinger, Sylvester & Haan, Jakob de, 2000.
"European Monetary and Fiscal Policy,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198776161.
- Nyssens, A. & Butzen, P. & Bisciari, P., 2000.
"Performances economiques des Etats-Unis dans les annees nonante,"
3, Warwick - Development Economics Research Centre.
- Alain Nyssens & Paul Butzen & Patrick Bisciari, 2000. "Performances économiques des Etats-Unis dans les années nonante," Working Paper Document 3, National Bank of Belgium.
- Bernhard Molitor, 1980. "Politique industrielle et Planification en France," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 31(5), pages 837-852.
- Ivo Maes, 2002. "Economic Thought and the Making of European Monetary Union," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 2515.
- Lucas, Robert Jr, 1976. "Econometric policy evaluation: A critique," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 19-46, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbb:reswpp:200207. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.