La mise en oeuvre du modèle logistique multinomial emboîté dans l'analyse de la participation au marché du travail
This research constitutes an attempt of using a nested multinomial logit to model the individuals labour market participation. This model has the advantage of relaxing the assumption of the independence of irrelevant alternatives wich is a property of the multinomial logit model generally used in the literature. The utilization of this model, still unexploited in this research area, permits to enrich empirical studies informations and to improve these last's general pertinence. An empirical analysis of individuals choices among several labour market segments is conducted, in the case of Morocco, using a nested multinomial logit model. A comparative study with a more “traditional” multinomial logit model is runned. It shows a relative superiority of the nested multinomial logit model, notably invalidating the assumption of the independence of irrelevant alternatives. More, the evaluation of explanatory variable's marginal effects on occupational choices for the two “competing” models shows that the choice of either one may modify the basis of the conclusions stemming from that type of analysis. (Full text in French)
|Date of creation:||Jun 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Killingsworth, Mark R. & Heckman, James J., 1987. "Female labor supply: A survey," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & R. Layard (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 2, pages 103-204 Elsevier.
- Saul D. Hoffman & Greg J. Duncan, 1988. "A Comparison of Choice-Based Multinomial and Nested Logit Models: The Family Structure and Welfare Use Decisions of Divorced or Separated Women," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 23(4), pages 550-562.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- D. McFadden & J. Hausman, 1981.
"Specification Tests for the Multinominal Logit Model,"
292, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hausman, Jerry & McFadden, Daniel, 1984. "Specification Tests for the Multinomial Logit Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(5), pages 1219-40, September.
- Jean-Philippe Karim El Aynaoui, 1995. "Pauvreté et stratification du marché du travail urbain au Maroc : éléments d'analyse," Documents de travail 08, Groupe d'Economie du Développement de l'Université Montesquieu Bordeaux IV.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mon:ceddtr:39. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.