Modigliani's 1944 Wage Rigidity Assumption and the Construction of the Neoclassical Synthesis
Modigliani's 1944 "Econometrica" article is considered one of the most important efforts to reconcile Keynes with classical economic thinking. The aim of this paper is to reconstruct the genesis of Modigliani's article and to reexamine its place in the construction of Neoclassical Synthesis. Modigliani introduced the wage rigidity hypothesis to show how monetary factors influence real variables such as the employment level and the interest rate. Modigliani?s attention to the monetary origin of and solution to unemployment is in stark contrast to the neglect in Neoclassical Synthesis of the monetary side of the system and its inclination towards fiscal policy
|Date of creation:||25 Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.unimol.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Vroey, Michel, 1997.
"IS-LM "à la Hicks" versus IS-LM "à la Modigliani","
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
1998003, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2006.
"The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer,"
NBER Working Papers
12349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- N. G. Mankiw., 2009. "The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 5.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2006. "The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 29-46, Fall.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2006. "The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2121, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Goulven Rubin, 2004.
"Patinkin on IS-LM: an Alternative to Modigliani,"
- Goulven Rubin, 2002.
"From equilibrium to disequilibrium : the genesis of Don Patinkin's interpretation of the Keynesian theory,"
- Goulven Rubin, 2002. "From equilibrium to disequilibrium: the genesis of Don Patinkin's interpretation of the Keynesian theory," The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 205-225.
- Laidler,David, 1999.
"Fabricating the Keynesian Revolution,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521641739.
- Snowdon, Brian, 2004. "Outside The Mainstream: An Interview With Axel Leijonhufvud," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(01), pages 117-145, February.
- Roger Backhouse, 2002. "Don Patinkin: interpreter of the Keynesian revolution," The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 186-204.
- William Darity, Jr. & Warren Young, 1995. "IS-LM: An Inquest," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 27(1), pages 1-41, Spring.
- Alessandro Roncaglia & Mario Tonveronachi, 1985. "Pre-Keynesian roots of the neoclassical synthesis," Cahiers d'Économie Politique, Programme National Persée, vol. 10(1), pages 51-65.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mol:ecsdps:esdp12069. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Lupi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.