The Asymmetry of the Price Impact of Block Trades and the Bid-Ask Spread. Evidence from the London Stock Exchange
In this paper we examine the price impact of block trades for FTSE 100 firms over the time period 1998-2004. Resembling previous research we find evidence of an asymmetric price impact between block purchases and sales. We suggest that bid-ask bias may be a new conjecture to the asymmetry in the differences in buyer and seller initiated trades.
|Date of creation:||02 Feb 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.essex.ac.uk/afm/mmf/index.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lease, Ronald C & Masulis, Ronald W & Page, John R, 1991. " An Investigation of Market Microstructure Impacts on Event Study Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1523-1536, September.
- Engle, Robert F. & Patton, Andrew J., 2004.
"Impacts of trades in an error-correction model of quote prices,"
Journal of Financial Markets,
Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Engle, Robert F & Patton, Andrew J, 2000. "Impacts of Trades in an Error-Correction Model of Quote Prices," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt6dm6093f, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Michael Aitken & Amaryllis Kua & Philip Brown & Terry Watter & H. Y. Izan, 1995. "An Intraday Analysis of the Probability of Trading on the ASX at the Asking Price," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 20(2), pages 115-154, December.
- Jennifer S. Conrad, 2001. "Institutional Trading and Soft Dollars," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 397-416, 02.
- Ellis, Katrina & Michaely, Roni & O'Hara, Maureen, 2000. "The Accuracy of Trade Classification Rules: Evidence from Nasdaq," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(04), pages 529-551, December.
- Gemmill, Gordon, 1996. " Transparency and Liquidity: A Study of Block Trades on the London Stock Exchange under Different Publication Rules," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(5), pages 1765-1790, December.
- Heflin, Frank & Shaw, Kenneth W., 2000. "Blockholder Ownership and Market Liquidity," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(04), pages 621-633, December.
- Harris, Lawrence, 1989. "A Day-End Transaction Price Anomaly," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(01), pages 29-45, March.
- Keim, Donald B & Madhaven, Ananth, 1996. "The Upstairs Market for Large-Block Transactions: Analysis and Measurement of Price Effects," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(1), pages 1-36. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mmf:mmfc06:76. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.