Business Cycles with Endogenous Mark-ups
Endogenous mark-ups have been a matter of interest in macroeconomics, especially from the middle 1990â€™s onwards. However, the complexity of this class of models, does not allow general ualitative conclusions in most cases, and there is plenty of room for investigation, especially in the reasons driving the emergence of multiple equilibria and non-saddle-point dynamics. In this article we extend a simple dynamic general equilibrium model to include the possibility of strategic interaction between producers in each industry, and entry affects the level of macroeconomic efficiency through an endogenous mark-up. We demonstrate multiple equilibria is a likely outcome even in an exogenous labour-supply framework. A pair of equilibria exists (a stable and an unstable one) and they are connected through a heteroclinic orbit. When we allow labour supply to vary, a third equilibrium may emerge if the government is present in the economy, and local indeterminacy may exist
|Date of creation:||02 Feb 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.essex.ac.uk/afm/mmf/index.html |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- d ASPREMONT, Claude, & DOS SANTOS FERREIRA , Rodolphe & GERARD-VARET , Louis-André, 1994. "Market Power, Coordination Failures and Endogenous Fluctuations," CORE Discussion Papers 1994068, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- D'ASPREMONT, Claude & DOS SANTOS, R. & GÉRARD-VARET, Louis-André, 1992.
"General equilibrium concepts under imperfect competition: a Cournotion approach,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1992057, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- d'Aspremont, Claude & Dos Santos Ferreira, Rodolphe & Gerard-Varet, Louis-Andre, 1997. "General Equilibrium Concepts under Imperfect Competition: A Cournotian Approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 199-230, March.
- d'ASPREMONT, C. & DOS SANTOS FERREIRA, R. & ÉRARD-VARET, L.-A., . "General equilibrium concepts under imperfect competition: a Cournotian approach," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1259, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- D'Aspremont, C. & Dos Santos Ferreira, R. & Gerard-Varet, L.A., 1992. "General Equilibrium Concepts Under Imperfect Competition: A Cournotien Approach," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 92a03, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 1999.
"The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective,"
NBER Working Papers
7147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark Gertler & Jordi Gali & Richard Clarida, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Clarida, R. & Gali, J. & Gertler, M., 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," Working Papers 99-13, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Clarida, Richard & Galí, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 2139, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 1997. "The science of monetary policy: A new Keynesian perspective," Economics Working Papers 356, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 1999.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521479479 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rotemberg, Julio J. & Woodford, Michael, 1999.
"The cyclical behavior of prices and costs,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 16, pages 1051-1135
- Kaas, Leo & Madden, Paul, 2000.
"Imperfectly Competitive Cycles with Keynesian and Walrasian Features,"
83, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Kaas, Leo & Madden, Paul, 2005. "Imperfectly competitive cycles with Keynesian and Walrasian features," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 861-886, May.
- L Kaas & P Madden, 2002. "Imperfectly Competitive Cycles with Keynesian and Walrasian Features," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0211, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- L Kaas & P Madden, 2002. "Imperfectly Competitive Cycles with Keynesian and Walrasian Features," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 20, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Satyajit Chatterjee & Russell W. Cooper & B. Ravikumar, 1993.
"Strategic complementarity in business formation: aggregate fluctuations and sunspot equilibria,"
93-9, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Chatterjee, Satyajit & Cooper, Russell & Ravikumar, B, 1993. "Strategic Complementarity in Business Formation: Aggregate Fluctuations and Sunspot Equilibria," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(4), pages 795-811, October.
- Julio J. Rotemberg & Michael Woodford, 1991. "Markups and the Business Cycle," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1991, Volume 6, pages 63-140 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean-Pierre LAFFARGUE, 1995. "A Dynamic Model of the French Economy, with Rational Expectations, Monopolistic Competition and Labour Market Bargaining," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 37-38, pages 465-530.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mmf:mmfc06:108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.