Multiple banking Relationships and Over-Leverage in Italian Manufacturing Firms
The purpose of this paper is to shed more light on the determinants of the number of bank lending relationships. In particular we look at the link between over-leverage and the number of banking relationships for a sample of Italian manufacturing firms, distinguishing between firms with a main bank and firms without a main bank. The main result of the paper is that the number of banking relationships increases with over-leverage only for firms without a main bank. We argue that this result is consistent with the view that, when banks perform transaction lending, firms can increase their debt capacity by increasing the number of creditors, promising ex ante up to the full amount of available assets to each one of the creditors. Copyright © 2006 The Authors; Journal compilation © 2006 Blackwell Publishing Ltd and The University of Manchester.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||03 Sep 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.essex.ac.uk/afm/mmf/index.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hans Degryse & Partick Van cayseele, 1998.
"Relationship Lending within a Bank-based System: Evidence from European Small Business Data,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
ces9816, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Degryse, Hans & Van Cayseele, Patrick, 2000. "Relationship Lending within a Bank-Based System: Evidence from European Small Business Data," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 90-109, January.
- M. Dewatripont & E. Maskin, 1995. "Credit and Efficiency in Centralized and Decentralized Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(4), pages 541-555.
- Foglia, A. & Laviola, S. & Marullo Reedtz, P., 1998. "Multiple banking relationships and the fragility of corporate borrowers," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(10-11), pages 1441-1456, October.
- Williamson, Stephen D., 1986.
"Costly monitoring, financial intermediation, and equilibrium credit rationing,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 159-179, September.
- Stephen D. Williamson, 1984. "Costly Monitoring, Financial Intermediation, and Equilibrium Credit Rationing," Working Papers 583, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1995.
"The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 110(2), pages 407-443.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1994. "The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships," NBER Working Papers 4921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ferri, Giovanni & Messori, Marcello, 2000. "Bank-firm relationships and allocative efficiency in Northeastern and Central Italy and in the South," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1067-1095, June.
- Boyd, John H. & Prescott, Edward C., 1986.
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 211-232, April.
- Enrica Detragiache & Paolo Garella & Luigi Guiso, 2000. "Multiple versus Single Banking Relationships: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1133-1161, 06.
- D'Auria, Claudio & Foglia, Antonella & Reedtz, Paolo Marullo, 1999. "Bank interest rates and credit relationships in Italy," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 1067-1093, July.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1994. " The Benefits of Lending Relationships: Evidence from Small Business Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 3-37, March.
- Steven A. Sharpe, 1989.
"Asymmetric information, bank lending, and implicit contracts: a stylized model of customer relationships,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
70, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sharpe, Steven A, 1990. " Asymmetric Information, Bank Lending, and Implicit Contracts: A Stylized Model of Customer Relationships," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1069-87, September.
- Hausman, Jerry & Hall, Bronwyn H & Griliches, Zvi, 1984.
"Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(4), pages 909-38, July.
- Jerry A. Hausman & Bronwyn H. Hall & Zvi Griliches, 1984. "Econometric Models for Count Data with an Application to the Patents-R&D Relationship," NBER Technical Working Papers 0017, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harhoff, Dietmar & Körting, Timm, 1998.
"Lending Relationships in Germany: Empirical Results from Survey Data,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1917, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dietmar Harhoff & Timm Körting, 1998. "Lending Relationships in Germany: Empirical Results from Survey Data," CIG Working Papers FS IV 98-06, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Ongena, Steven & Smith, David C., 2000. "What Determines the Number of Bank Relationships? Cross-Country Evidence," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 26-56, January.
- Cameron, A Colin & Trivedi, Pravin K, 1986. "Econometric Models Based on Count Data: Comparisons and Applications of Some Estimators and Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(1), pages 29-53, January.
- Boot, Arnoud W A & Thakor, Anjan, 1997.
"Can Relationship Banking Survive Competition?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1592, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rajan, Raghuram G, 1992. " Insiders and Outsiders: The Choice between Informed and Arm's-Length Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1367-400, September.
- Cosci, Stefania & Meliciani, Valentina, 2002. "Multiple Banking Relationships: Evidence from the Italian Experience," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 70(0), pages 37-54, Supplemen.
- Machauer, Achim & Weber, Martin, 1998.
"Bank behavior based on internal credit ratings of borrowers,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 22(10-11), pages 1355-1383, October.
- Machauer, Achim & Weber, Martin, 1998. "Bank behavior based on internal credit ratings of borrowers," CFS Working Paper Series 1998/08, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Cole, Rebel A., 1998. "The importance of relationships to the availability of credit," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 959-977, August.
- Thakor, Anjan V, 1996. " Capital Requirements, Monetary Policy, and Aggregate Bank Lending: Theory and Empirical Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 279-324, March.
- Thakor, Anjan V., 2000. "Relationship Banking," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 3-5, January.
- Ernst-Ludwig VON THADDEN & Erik BERGLÖF & Gérard ROLAND, 2003. "Optimal Debt Design and the Role of Bankruptcy," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 03.13, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Winton Andrew, 1995. "Delegated Monitoring and Bank Structure in a Finite Economy," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 158-187, April.
- Cobham, David & Cosci, Stefania & Mattesini, Fabrizio, 1999. "The Italian Financial System: Neither Bank Based nor Market Based," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 67(3), pages 325-45, June.
- Farinha, Luisa A. & Santos, Joao A. C., 2002.
"Switching from Single to Multiple Bank Lending Relationships: Determinants and Implications,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 124-151, April.
- João A. C. Santos & Luísa A. Farinha, 2000. "Switching from single to multiple bank lending relationships: determinants and implications," BIS Working Papers 83, Bank for International Settlements.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mmf:mmfc05:87. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.