The impacts of the 1988 tax reform on married women's labour supply in Canada
I investigate the impact of the Canadian Federal tax reform of 1988 on the labour supply of lower income married women. The Canadian federal tax reform of 1988 replaced the spousal exemption with a nonrefundable tax credit. This reduced the dependence of a low income married woman’s effective marginal tax rate on the effective marginal tax rate of her husband. Using difference-in-difference estimators, I compare the labour supply of women married to higher income husbands (the "treatment" group) and the labour supply of women married to lower income husbands (the "control" group). The treatment group experienced significantly larger reductions in their effective marginal tax rate than the control group. I find a significant increase in labour force participation for women married to higher income husbands. I also show that the tax reform significantly increased the total annual working ho
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4M4|
Phone: (905) 525-9140 ext. 22765
Fax: (905) 521-8232
Web page: http://www.economics.mcmaster.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Blundell & Alan Duncan & Costas Meghir, 1995.
"Estimating labour supply responses using tax reforms,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/07, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richard Blundell & Alan Duncan & Costas Meghir, 1998. "Estimating Labor Supply Responses Using Tax Reforms," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(4), pages 827-862, July.
- Richard P. Chaykowski & Lisa M. Powell, 1999. "Women and the Labour Market: Recent Trends and Policy Issues," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 25(s1), pages 2-25, November.
- J.B. Burbidge & L. Magee & A.L. Robb, .
"Cohort, Year and Age Effects in Canadian Wage Data,"
Canadian International Labour Network Working Papers
13, McMaster University.
- John B. Burbidge & Lonnie Magee & A. Leslie Robb, 1997. "Cohort, Year and Age Effects in Canadian Wage Data," Independence and Economic Security of the Older Population Research Papers 19, McMaster University.
- Bourguignon, Francois & Chiappori, Pierre-Andre, 1992.
"Collective models of household behavior : An introduction,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 36(2-3), pages 355-364, April.
- Bourguignon, F. & Chiappori, P-A., 1991. "Collective Models of Household Behaviour: An Introduction," DELTA Working Papers 91-29, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Hausman, Jerry & Ruud, Paul, 1984.
"Family Labor Supply with Taxes,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 74(2), pages 242-48, May.
- Gruber, Jon & Saez, Emmanuel, 2002.
"The elasticity of taxable income: evidence and implications,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 1-32, April.
- Jon Gruber & Emmanuel Saez, 2000. "The Elasticity of Taxable Income: Evidence and Implications," NBER Working Papers 7512, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gerald Auten & Robert Carroll, 1999. "The Effect Of Income Taxes On Household Income," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 681-693, November.
- A. L. Robb & L. Magee & J. B. Burbidge, 1992. "Kernel Smoothed Consumption-Age Quantiles," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 25(3), pages 669-80, August.
- Richard Blundell & Thomas MaCurdy, 1998.
"Labour supply: a review of alternative approaches,"
IFS Working Papers
W98/18, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Chiappori, P.A., 1989.
"Collective Labour Supply and Welfare,"
DELTA Working Papers
89-07, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- James B. Davies & Junsen Zhang, 1996. "Measuring Marginal Income Tax Rates for Individuals in Canada: Averages and Distributions over Time," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(4), pages 959-75, November.
- Angrist, Joshua D., 1991. "Grouped-data estimation and testing in simple labor-supply models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2-3), pages 243-266, February.
- Triest, Robert K., 1998. "Econometric Issues in Estimating the Behavioral Response to Taxation: A Nontechnical Introduction," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 51(n. 4), pages 761-72, December.
- Chiappori, Pierre-Andre, 1988. "Rational Household Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(1), pages 63-90, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mcm:deptwp:2004-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.