Monte-Carlo Estimations of the Downside Risk of Derivative Portfolios
We simulate the performances of a standard derivatives portfolio to evaluate the relevance of benchmarking in terms of downside risk reduction. The simulation shows that benchmarking always leads to significantly more severe losses in average than those generated by letting the portfolio reach the end of a given horizon. Moreover, switching from a 0-correlation across underlyings to a very mild form of correlation significantly increases the probability of reaching the downside benchmark before maturity, whereas adding more correlation does not significantly increase this figure.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Maynooth, Co. Kildare|
Web page: http://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/economics-finance-and-accounting
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Liu, Jun & Longstaff, Francis & Pan, Jun, 2001.
"Dynamic Asset Allocation with Event Risk,"
University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management
qt9fm6t5nb, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7656, David K. Levine.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Corwin Joy & Phelim P. Boyle & Ken Seng Tan, 1996. "Quasi-Monte Carlo Methods in Numerical Finance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(6), pages 926-938, June.
- Robert Jarrow & Feng Zhao, 2006. "Downside Loss Aversion and Portfolio Management," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(4), pages 558-566, April.
- Boyle, Phelim & Broadie, Mark & Glasserman, Paul, 1997. "Monte Carlo methods for security pricing," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(8-9), pages 1267-1321, June.
- Ning Du & David V. Budescu, 2005. "The Effects of Imprecise Probabilities and Outcomes in Evaluating Investment Options," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(12), pages 1791-1803, December.
- Basak, Suleyman & Shapiro, Alex & Teplá, Lucie, 2005.
"Risk Management with Benchmarking,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5187, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jérôme Detemple & René Garcia & Marcel Rindisbacher, 2005. "Asymptotic Properties of Monte Carlo Estimators of Derivatives," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(11), pages 1657-1675, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:may:mayecw:n1760607. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.