Taste and Quality Perception of Attributes in Product Differentiation: An Econometric Model with Latent Variables
We study the consumers' preferences for the various attributes of a product. We consider that the consumers'choices are not guided by observed characteristics of a product, but by the quality perception consumers have on these attributes. Our model integrates this issue by means of latent variables, and is interested in the influence of the information received by the consumer on this perception. It also includes consumers' attitudes by supposing that the weight consumers put on attributes describes their tastes. An econometric application on material choices (wood vs. PVC) in the French window market valid these assumptions.
|Date of creation:||May 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 14 rue Girardet, 54042 Nancy cedex|
Phone: 33 (0)3 83 39 68 66
Fax: 33 (0)3 83 37 06 45
Web page: http://www.nancy.inra.fr/lef
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- George A. Akerlof, 1970. "The Market for "Lemons": Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Vredin Johansson, Maria & Heldt, Tobias & Johansson, Per, 2006. "The effects of attitudes and personality traits on mode choice," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 507-525, July.
- Nelson, Philip, 1974. "Advertising as Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(4), pages 729-54, July/Aug..
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lef:wpaper:2007-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sylvain CAURLa)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.