This paper studies entry in a market where firms compete in shopping hours and prices. I show that an incumbent firm is able to choose its opening hours strategically to deter entry of a new firm. The potential effects of entry deterrence on social welfare depends on the degree of product differentiation. Entry deterrence increases social welfare when product differentiation is low, while it reduces social welfare when product differentiation is high. In terms of policy, the result of this model suggests that shopping hours deregulation is not always welfare enhancing.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics University of Leicester, University Road. Leicester. LE1 7RH. UK|
Phone: +44 (0)116 252 2887
Fax: +44 (0)116 252 2908
Web page: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/economics
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/economics/research/discussion-papers Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morrison, Steven A & Newman, Robert J, 1983. "Hours of Operation Restrictions and Competition among Retail Firms," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 21(1), pages 107-114, January.
- Inderst, Roman & Irmen, Andreas, 2005.
"Shopping hours and price competition,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 49(5), pages 1105-1124, July.
- Inderst, Roman & Irmen, Andreas, 2001. "Shopping Hours and Price Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 3001, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- B. Curtis Eaton & Richard G. Lipsey, 1981. "Capital, Commitment, and Entry Equilibrium," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 12(2), pages 593-604, Autumn.
- B. Curtis Eaton & Richard G. Lipsey, 1980. "Capital, Commitment, and Entry Equilibrium," Working Papers 397, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Neven, D. & Thisse, J-F., 1989. "On Quality And Variety Competition," CORE Discussion Papers 1989020, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Neven, Damien J, 1989. " Strategic Entry Deterrence: Recent Developments in the Economics of Industry," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(3), pages 213-233.
- Giacomo Bonanno, 1985. "Product Proliferation and Entry Deterrence Revisited," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series 114, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Tanguay, Georges & Vallee, Luc & Lanoie, Paul, 1995. "Shopping Hours and Price Levels in the Retailing Industry: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 33(3), pages 516-524, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lec:leecon:11/51. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mrs. Alexandra Mazzuoccolo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.