On Kronecker Products, Tensor Products And Matrix Differential Calculus
The algebra of the Kronecker products of matrices is recapitulated using a notation that reveals the tensor structures of the matrices. It is claimed that many of the difficulties that are encountered in working with the algebra can be alleviated by paying close attention to the indices that are concealed beneath the conventional matrix notation. The vectorisation operations and the commutation transformations that are common in multivariate statistical analysis alter the positional relationship of the matrix elements. These elements correspond to numbers that are liable to be stored in contiguous memory cells of a computer, which should remain undisturbed. It is suggested that, in the absence of an adequate index notation that enables the manipulations to be performed without disturbing the data, even the most clear-headed of computer programmers is liable to perform wholly unnecessary and time-wasting operations that shift data between memory cells.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:||Jul 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics University of Leicester, University Road. Leicester. LE1 7RH. UK|
Phone: +44 (0)116 252 2887
Fax: +44 (0)116 252 2908
Web page: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/economics
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/economics/research/discussion-papers Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Magnus, Jan R., 2010. "On the concept of matrix derivative," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(9), pages 2200-2206, October.
- Turkington,Darrell A., 2002. "Matrix Calculus and Zero-One Matrices," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521807883, December.
- Turkington, Darrell, 2000. "Generalised vec operators and the seemingly unrelated regression equations model with vector correlated disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 225-253, December.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521822893 is not listed on IDEAS
- Abadir,Karim M. & Magnus,Jan R., 2005. "Matrix Algebra," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521537469, December.
- Magnus, J.R. & Neudecker, H., 1979. "The commutation matrix : Some properties and applications," Other publications TiSEM d0b1e779-7795-4676-ac98-1, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lec:leecon:11/34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mrs. Alexandra Mazzuoccolo)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.