A general theory of time discounting: The reference-time theory of intertemporal choice
We develop a general theory of intertemporal choice: the reference-time theory, RT. RT is a synthesis of ideas from the generalized hyperbolic model (Loewenstein and Prelec 1992), the quasi-hyperbolic model (Phelps and Pollak 1968, Laibson 1997) and subadditivity of time discounting (Roelofsma and Read 2000, Read 2001 and Scholten and Read 2006a). These models are extended to allow for (i) reference points for time and wealth, and (ii) different discount functions for gains and losses. RT is able to account for all the 6 main anomalies of time discounting: gain-loss asymmetry, magnitude effect, common difference effect, delay-speedup asymmetry, apparent intransitivity of time preferences, and non-additivity of time discounting. We provide a class of utility functions compatible with RT. We show how RT can be extended to incorporate uncertainty and attribute models of intertemporal choice.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0)116 252 2887
Fax: +44 (0)116 252 2908
Web page: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/economics
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/economics/research/discussion-papers Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- al-Nowaihi, Ali & Dhami, Sanjit, 2006.
"A note on the Loewenstein-Prelec theory of intertemporal choice,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 99-108, July.
- Ali al-Nowaihi & Sanjit Dhami, 2005. "A Note On The Loewenstein-Prelec Theory Of Intertemporal Choice," Discussion Papers in Economics 05/18, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Ali al-Nowaihi & Sanjit Dhami, 2008.
"A value function that explains the magnitude and sign effects,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
08/31, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- al-Nowaihi, Ali & Dhami, Sanjit, 2009. "A value function that explains the magnitude and sign effects," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 105(3), pages 224-229, December.
- Ali al-Nowaihi & Sanjit Dhami, 2010. "Probability Weighting Functions," Discussion Papers in Economics 10/10, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lec:leecon:08/22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mrs. Alexandra Mazzuoccolo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.