Coase meets Tarski: New Insights from Coase's Theory of the Firm
This paper formulates a model embedding the key ideas from Ronald Coase’s famous essay on the theory of the firm in a simple competitive equilibrium setting with anarbitrary number of firms. The model studies the structure of production when transaction costs and diminishing returns to management are treated as given. In addition to recovering Coase’s main insights as equilibrium conditions, the model yields many new predictions on prices, firm boundaries and division of the value chain.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Yoshida-Honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501|
Web page: http://www.kier.kyoto-u.ac.jp/eng/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timothy F. Bresnahan & Jonathan D. Levin, 2012.
"Vertical Integration and Market Structure,"
NBER Working Papers
17889, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy Bresnahan & Jonathan Levin, 2012.
"Vertical Integration and Market Structure
[The Handbook of Organizational Economics]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Timothy Bresnahan & Jonathan Levin, 2012. "Vertical Integration and Market Structure
- Robert E. Lucas Jr., 1978. "On the Size Distribution of Business Firms," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 9(2), pages 508-523, Autumn.
- Pol Antràs & Davin Chor & Thibault Fally & Russell Hillberry, 2012.
"Measuring the Upstreamness of Production and Trade Flows,"
NBER Working Papers
17819, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pol Antras & Davin Chor & Thibault Fally & Russell Hillberry, 2012. "Measuring the Upstreamness of Production and Trade Flows," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(3), pages 412-16, May.
- Antràs, Pol & Chor, Davin & Fally, Thibault & Hillberry, Russell, 2012. "Measuring the Upstreamness of Production and Trade Flows," CEPR Discussion Papers 8839, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Arnaud Costinot & Jonathan Vogel & Su Wang, 2011.
"An Elementary Theory of Global Supply Chains,"
NBER Working Papers
16936, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arnaud Costinot & Jonathan E. Vogel & Su Wang, 2011. "An Elementary Theory of Global Supply Chains," CESifo Working Paper Series 3402, CESifo Group Munich.
- Su Wang & Jonathan Vogel & Arnaud Costinot, 2011. "An Elementary Theory of Global Supply Chains," 2011 Meeting Papers 95, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Philippe Aghion & Richard Holden, 2011. "Incomplete Contracts and the Theory of the Firm: What Have We Learned over the Past 25 Years?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 25(2), pages 181-97, Spring.
- Patrick Bolton & Mathias Dewatripont, 1994. "The Firm as a Communication Network," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(4), pages 809-839.
- Justin Sandefur, 2010.
"On the Evolution of the Firm Size Distribution in an African Economy,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2010-05, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Justin Sandefur, 2010. "On the Evolution of the Firm Size Distribution in an African Economy," Economics Series Working Papers CSAE WPS/2010-05, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Costinot, Arnaud, 2007.
"On the Origins of Comparative Advantage,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt07g7g8h8, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Luis Garicano, 2000. "Hierarchies and the Organization of Knowledge in Production," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 108(5), pages 874-904, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kyo:wpaper:828. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ryo Okui)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.