Analysis of Industrial Agglomeration Patterns: An Application to Manufacturing Industries in Japan
The standard approach to studying industrial agglomeration is to construct summary measures of the “degree of agglomeration” within each industry and to test for significant agglomeration with respect to some appropriate reference measure. But such summary measures often fail to distinguish between industries that exhibit substantially different spatial patterns of agglomeration. In a previous paper, a cluster-detection procedure was developed that yields a more detailed spatial representation of agglomeration patterns (Mori and Smith ). This methodology is here applied to the case of manufacturing industries in Japan, and is shown to yield a rich variety of agglomeration patterns. In addition, to analyze such patterns in a more quantitative way, a new set of measures is developed that focus on both the global extent and local density of agglomeration patterns. Here it is shown for the case of Japan that these measures provide a useful classification of pattern types that reflect a number of theoretical findings in the New Economic Geography.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.kier.kyoto-u.ac.jp/eng/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fujita, Masahisa & Krugman, Paul & Mori, Tomoya, 1999. "On the evolution of hierarchical urban systems1," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 209-251, February.
- TABUCHI, Takahoshi & THISSE, Jacques-FranÃ§ois, .
"Regional specialization, urban hierarchy, and commuting costs,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1967, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Takatoshi Tabuchi & Jacques-François Thisse, 2006. "Regional Specialization, Urban Hierarchy, And Commuting Costs," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1295-1317, November.
- Takatoshi Tabuchi & Jacques-Francois Thisse, 2003. "Regional Specialization, Urban Hierarchy, and Commuting Costs," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-223, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- TABUCHI, Takatoshi & THISSE, Jacques-FranÃ§ois, 2003. "Regional specialization, urban hierarchy, and commuting costs," CORE Discussion Papers 2003060, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mori, Tomoya, 1997. "A Modeling of Megalopolis Formation: The Maturing of City Systems," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 133-157, July.
- Tomoya Mori & Tony E. Smith, 2011.
"An Industrial Agglomeration Approach To Central Place And City Size Regularities,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(4), pages 694-731, October.
- Tomoya Mori & Tony E. Smith, 2009. "An Industrial Agglomeration Approach to Central Place and City Size Regularities," KIER Working Papers 687, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Tomoya Mori & Koji Nishikimi & Tony E. Smith, 2005.
"A Divergence Statistic for Industrial Localization,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 87(4), pages 635-651, November.
- Tomoya Mori & Koji Nishikimi & Tony E. Smith, 2004. "A Divergence Statistic for Industrial Localization," KIER Working Papers 587, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Fujita, Masahisa & Mori, Tomoya, 1997. "Structural stability and evolution of urban systems," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4-5), pages 399-442, August.
- Akamatsu, Takashi & Takayama, Yuki & Ikeda, Kiyohiro, 2012.
"Spatial discounting, Fourier, and racetrack economy: A recipe for the analysis of spatial agglomeration models,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 1729-1759.
- Akamatsu, Takashi & Takayama, Yuki & Ikeda, Kiyohiro, 2009. "Spatial Discounting, Fourier, and Racetrack Economy: A Recipe for the Analysis of Spatial Agglomeration Models," MPRA Paper 21738, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 25 Dec 2009.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Thierry Mayer & Jacques-François Thisse, 2008. "Economic Geography: The Integration of Regions and Nations," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00311000, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kyo:wpaper:794. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ryo Okui)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.