The Selection of ARIMA Models with or without Regressors
We develop a Cp statistic for the selection of regression models with stationary and nonstationary ARIMA error term. We derive the asymptotic theory of the maximum likelihood estimators and show they are consistent and asymptotically Gaussian. We also prove that the distribution of the sum of squares of one step ahead standardized prediction errors, when the parameters are estimated, differs from the chi-squared distribution by a term which tends to infinity at a lower rate than X (2/n). We further prove that, in the prediction error decomposition, the term involving the sum of the variance of one step ahead standardized prediction errors is convergent. Finally, we provide a small simulation study. Empirical comparisons of a consistent version of our Cp statistic with BIC and a generalized RIC show that our statistic has superior performance, particularly for small signal to noise ratios. A new plot of our time series Cp statistic is highly informative about the choice of model. On the way we introduce a new version of AIC for regression models, show that it estimates a Kullback-Leibler distance and provide a version for small samples that is bias corrected. We highlight the connections with standard Mallows Cp.
|Date of creation:||08 Nov 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark|
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marc K. Francke & Siem Jan Koopman & Aart F. de Vos, 2010.
"Likelihood functions for state space models with diffuse initial conditions,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(6), pages 407-414, November.
- Marc K. Francke & Siem Jan Koopman & Aart de Vos, 2008. "Likelihood Functions for State Space Models with Diffuse Initial Conditions," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 08-040/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Riani, Marco & Atkinson, Anthony C., 2010. "Robust model selection with flexible trimming," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(12), pages 3300-3312, December.
- Claeskens,Gerda & Hjort,Nils Lid, 2008. "Model Selection and Model Averaging," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521852258, December.
- Mike K. P. So & Cathy W. S. Chen & Feng-Chi Liu, 2006. "Best subset selection of autoregressive models with exogenous variables and generalized autoregressive conditional heteroscedasticity errors," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 55(2), pages 201-224.
- Hansheng Wang & Guodong Li & Chih-Ling Tsai, 2007. "Regression coefficient and autoregressive order shrinkage and selection via the lasso," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 69(1), pages 63-78.
- Qiwei Yao & Peter J. Brockwell, 2006. "Gaussian Maximum Likelihood Estimation For ARMA Models. I. Time Series," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(6), pages 857-875, November.
- Peide Shi & Chih-Ling Tsai, 2004. "A Joint Regression Variable and Autoregressive Order Selection Criterion," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(6), pages 923-941, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kud:kuiedp:1217. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.