Are Incomplete Markets Able to Achieve Minimal Efficiency?
We consider economies with incomplete markets, one good per state, two periods, t = 0; 1, private ownership of initial endowments, a single firm, and no assets other than shares in this firm. In Dierker, Dierker, Grodal (2002), we give an example of such an economy in which all market equilibria are constrained ineffcient. In this paper, we weaken the concept of constrained effciency by taking away the planner’s right to determine consumers’ investments. An allocation is called minimally constrained efficient if a planner, who can only determine the production plan and the distribution of consumption at t = 0, cannot find a Pareto improvement. We present an example with arbitrarily small income effects in which no market equilibrium is minimally constrained effcient.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- DHILLON, Amrita & MERTENS, Jean-FranÃ§ois, 1993.
CORE Discussion Papers
1993048, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Guesnerie, Roger, 1975. "Pareto Optimality in Non-Convex Economies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(1), pages 1-29, January.
- Gravel, Nicolas, 1994.
"On the Difficulty of Combining Actual and Potential Criteria for an Increase in Social Welfare,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
1994009, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Nicolas Gravel, 2001. "On the difficulty of combining actual and potential criteria for an increase in social welfare," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 163-180.
- Geanakoplos, J. & Magill, M. & Quinzii, M. & Dreze, J., 1990.
"Generic inefficiency of stock market equilibrium when markets are incomplete,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 113-151.
- John Geanakoplos & Michael Magill & Martine Quinzii & J. Dreze, 1988. "Generic Inefficiency of Stock Market Equilibrium When Markets Are Incomplete," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 863, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Petra Geraats & Hans Haller, 1998. "Shareholders' choice," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 68(2), pages 111-135, June.
- Prescott, Edward C & Townsend, Robert M, 1984.
"General Competitive Analysis in an Economy with Private Information,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(1), pages 1-20, February.
- Edward C Prescott & Robert M Townsend, 1997. "General Competitive Analysis in an Economy with Private Information," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1578, David K. Levine.
- DeMarzo, Peter M, 1993. "Majority Voting and Corporate Control: The Rule of the Dominant Shareholder," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(3), pages 713-34, July.
- Egbert Dierker & Hildegard Dierker & Birgit Grodal, 2002.
"Nonexistence of Constrained Efficient Equilibria When Markets are Incomplete,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(3), pages 1245-1251, May.
- Egbert Dierker & Hildegard Dierker & Birgit Grodal, 2000. "Nonexistence of Constrained Efficient Equilibria when Markets are Incomplete," CIE Discussion Papers 2000-07, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Egbert Dierker & Hildegard Dierker & Birgit Grodal, 2001. "Nonexistence of constrained Efficient Equilibria when Markets are Incomplete," Vienna Economics Papers 0111, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Sanford J., 1977. "A characterization of the optimality of equilibrium in incomplete markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-15, June.
- Cole, Harold L. & Prescott, Edward C., 1997.
"Valuation Equilibrium with Clubs,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 19-39, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kud:kuiedp:0309. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.