Long Run Trends in Australian Executive Remuneration: BHP 1887-2012
Outside the US, little is known of long-run trends in executive compensation. We fill this gap by studying BHP, a resources giant that has long been one of the largest companies on the Australian stock market. From 1887 to 2013, trends in CEO and director remuneration (relative to average earnings) follow a U-shape. This matches the pattern for US executive compensation, Australian top incomes, and (for the past two decades) average trends in executive compensation in top Australian firms. Like the US, Australia experienced a post-war 'great compression' prior to the recent 'great divergence'.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claudia Goldin & Robert A. Margo, 1991.
"The Great Compression: The Wage Structure in the United States at Mid- Century,"
NBER Working Papers
3817, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goldin, Claudia & Margo, Robert A, 1992. "The Great Compression: The Wage Structure in the United States at Mid-century," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(1), pages 1-34, February.
- Anthony B. Atkinson & Andrew Leigh, 2007.
"The Distribution of Top Incomes in Australia,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 83(262), pages 247-261, 09.
- Xavier Gabaix & Augustin Landier, 2008.
"Why Has CEO Pay Increased So Much?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 123(1), pages 49-100, 02.
- Carola Frydman & Raven E. Saks, 2007.
"Executive compensation: a new view from a long-term perspective, 1936-2005,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2007-35, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carola Frydman & Raven E. Saks, 2010. "Executive Compensation: A New View from a Long-Term Perspective, 1936--2005," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(5), pages 2099-2138.
- Carola Frydman & Raven E. Saks, 2008. "Executive Compensation: A New View from a Long-Term Perspective, 1936-2005," NBER Working Papers 14145, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- AfDB AfDB, . "AfDB Group Annual Report 2011 (Arabic)," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 394, 7.
- AfDB AfDB, . "AfDB Group Annual Report 2011," Annual Report, African Development Bank, number 392, 7.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp7486. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.