Foreign Direct Investment, Black Economic Empowerment and Labour Productivity in South Africa
The impact of foreign direct investment (FDI) on domestically owned firms in developing countries has been widely debated in the literature. It has been argued that FDI provides access to advanced technologies and other intangible assets which may spill over to the host country and allow domestic firms to improve their performance. While there is a substantial literature on this issue, for obvious reasons, little is known about the effect of FDI on domestic firms in the African context. Noting this gap, this paper uses two-period (2003 and 2007) firm level panel data from South Africa to examine the impact of foreign direct investment on the labour productivity of domestic firms. A key policy change during this time period was the passage of the broad-based black economic empowerment act (BB-BEE) and we also examine the effect of the interaction between foreign firm ownership and BEE on labour productivity. Regardless of the empirical specification we find no spill over effects and no evidence that a greater degree of BEE compliance by foreign firms influences labour productivity.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Publication status:||published in: Journal of International Trade and Economic Development, 2013, 22 (1), 94-115|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ksenia Yudaeva & Konstantin Kozlov & Natalia Melentieva & Natalia Ponomareva, 2003. "Does foreign ownership matter?," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 11(3), pages 383-409, 09.
- Ari Kokko & Mario Zejan & Ruben Tansini, 2001. "Trade regimes and spillover effects of FDI: Evidence from Uruguay," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 137(1), pages 124-149, March.
- J??r??me Sgard, 2001. "Direct Foreign Investments And Productivity Growth In Hungarian Firms, 1992-1999," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 425, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Yih-Chyi Chuang & Pi-Fum Hsu, 2004. "FDI, trade, and spillover efficiency: evidence from China's manufacturing sector," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(10), pages 1103-1115.
- Marcin Kolasa, 2007.
"How does FDI inflow affect productivity of domestic firms? The role of horizontal and vertical spillovers, absorptive capacity and competition,"
National Bank of Poland Working Papers
42, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Kolasa Marcin, 2008. "How does FDI inflow affect productivity of domestic firms? The role of horizontal and vertical spillovers, absorptive capacity and competition," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 155-173.
- Kolasa, Marcin, 7/03. "How does FDI inflow affect productivity of domestic firms? The role of horizontal and vertical spillovers, absorptive capacity and competition," MPRA Paper 8673, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stefan Lutz & Oleksandr Talavera, 2004.
"Do Ukrainian Firms Benefit from FDI?,"
Economic Change and Restructuring,
Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 77-98, 06.
- Talavera, Oleksandr & Lutz, Stefan H., 2003. "Do Ukrainian Firms Benefit from FDI?," ZEW Discussion Papers 03-05, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Lutz, Stefan H. & Talavera, Oleksandr, 2003. "Do Ukrainian firms benefit from FDI," ZEI Working Papers B 04-2003, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Arjun S. Bedi & Andrzej Cielik, 2002.
"Wages and wage growth in Poland: The role of foreign direct investment,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 10(1), pages 1-27, March.
- Bedi, A.S. & Cieslik, A., 2000. "Wages and wage growth in Poland : the role of foreign direct investment," ISS Working Papers - General Series 19068, International Institute of Social Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam (ISS), The Hague.
- Jan Hagemejer & Marcin Kolasa, 2008.
"Internationalization and economic performance of enterprises: evidence from firm-level data,"
National Bank of Poland Working Papers
51, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Jan Hagemejer & Marcin Kolasa, 2011. "Internationalisation and Economic Performance of Enterprises: Evidence from Polish Firm‐level Data," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1), pages 74-100, 01.
- Hagemejer, Jan & Kolasa, Marcin, 8/05. "Internationalization and economic performance of enterprises: evidence from firm-level data," MPRA Paper 8720, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anabel Marin & Ionara Costa, 2010.
"Thinking locally: exploring the importance of a subsidiary-centred model of FDI-related spillovers in Brazil,"
International Journal of Technological Learning, Innovation and Development,
Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 3(1), pages 87-107.
- Marin, Anabel & Costa, Ionara, 2009. "Thinking locally: Exploring the importance of a subsidiary-centered model of FDI-related spillovers in Brazil," MERIT Working Papers 008, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard M, 2000.
"Foreign Investment and Productivity Growth in Czech Enterprises,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 49-64, January.
- Djankov, Simeon & Hoekman, Bernard, 1999. "Foreign investment and productivity growth in Czech enterprises," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2115, The World Bank.
- Bwalya, Samuel Mulenga, 2006. "Foreign direct investment and technology spillovers: Evidence from panel data analysis of manufacturing firms in Zambia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 514-526, December.
- CUYVERS, Ludo & SOENG, Reth & PLASMANS, Joseph & VAN DEN BULCKE, Daniël, 2008. "Productivity spillovers from foreign direct investment in the Cambodian manufacturing sector: Evidence from establishment-level data," Working Papers 2008004, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Sofiane Ghali & Sami Rezgui, 2011. "FDI Contribution to Technical Efficiency in the Tunisian Manufacturing Sector: Evidence from Micro-panel Data," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(2), pages 319-339.
- Steven Globerman, 1979. "Foreign Direct Investment and `Spillover' Efficiency Benefits in Canadian Manufacturing Industries," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 12(1), pages 42-56, February.
- Priit Vahter, 2004. "The Effect Of Foreign Direct Investment On Labour Productivity: Evidence From Estonia And Slovenia," University of Tartu - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration Working Paper Series 32, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, University of Tartu (Estonia).
- Jérôme Sgard, 2001. "Direct Foreign Investments and Productivity Growth in Hungarian Firms, 1992-1999," Working Papers 2001-19, CEPII research center.
- Caves, Richard E, 1974. "Multinational Firms, Competition, and Productivity in Host-Country Markets," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 41(162), pages 176-93, May.
- Görg, Holger & Greenaway, David, 2003.
"Much Ado About Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
944, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Holger Görg & David Greenaway, 2004. "Much Ado about Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 19(2), pages 171-197.
- Manoj Pant & Sangeeta Mondal, . "FDI, Technology Transfer and Spillover —A Case Study of India," Centre for International Trade and Development, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi Discussion Papers 10-04, Centre for International Trade and Development, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India.
- Liu, Zhiqiang, 2008. "Foreign direct investment and technology spillovers: Theory and evidence," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 176-193, February.
- Waldkirch, Andreas & Ofosu, Andra, 8/03.
"Foreign Presence, Spillovers, and Productivity: Evidence from Ghana,"
8577, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Waldkirch, Andreas & Ofosu, Andra, 2010. "Foreign Presence, Spillovers, and Productivity: Evidence from Ghana," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 1114-1126, August.
- Taymaz, Erol & Yilmaz, Kamil, 8/08. "Foreign Direct Investment and Productivity Spillovers: Identifying Linkages through Product-based Measures," MPRA Paper 66243, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2009.
- Haddad, Mona & Harrison, Ann, 1993. "Are there positive spillovers from direct foreign investment? : Evidence from panel data for Morocco," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 51-74, October.
- Suyanto & Salim, Ruhul A. & Bloch, Harry, 2009. "Does Foreign Direct Investment Lead to Productivity Spillovers? Firm Level Evidence from Indonesia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 1861-1876, December.
- Gorg, Holger & Strobl, Eric, 2001. "Multinational Companies and Productivity Spillovers: A Meta-analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(475), pages F723-39, November.
- Anabel Marin & Martin Bell, 2006. "Technology spillovers from Foreign Direct Investment (FDI): the active role of MNC subsidiaries in Argentina in the 1990s," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(4), pages 678-697.
- Buckley, Peter J. & Wang, Chengqi & Clegg, Jeremy, 2007. "The impact of foreign ownership, local ownership and industry characteristics on spillover benefits from foreign direct investment in China," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 142-158, April.
- Klaus E Meyer & Evis Sinani, 2009. "When and where does foreign direct investment generate positive spillovers? A meta-analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 40(7), pages 1075-1094, September.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/6926 is not listed on IDEAS
- Damijan, Joze P. & Knell, Mark & Majcen, Boris & Rojec, Matija, 2003. "The role of FDI, R&D accumulation and trade in transferring technology to transition countries: evidence from firm panel data for eight transition countries," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 189-204, June.
- Liu, Xiaming & Parker, David & Vaidya, Kirit & Wei, Yingqi, 2001. "The impact of foreign direct investment on labour productivity in the Chinese electronics industry," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 421-439, August.
- Ramirez, Miguel D., 2006. "Is foreign direct investment beneficial for Mexico? An empirical analysis, 1960-2001," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 802-817, May.
- N. De Liso & G. Filatrella, 1999. "On technology competition," Working Papers 337, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Jørn Rattsø & Hildegunn Ekroll Stokke, 2003. "Learning and Foreign Technology Spillover in Thailand: Empirical Evidence on Productivity Dynamics," Nordic Journal of Political Economy, Nordic Journal of Political Economy, vol. 29, pages 47-66.
- Jérôme Sgard, 2001. "Direct Foreign Investments and Productivity Growth in Hungarian Firms, 1992-1999," Sciences Po publications 2001-19, Sciences Po.
- Ann E. Harrison & Brian J. Aitken, 1999. "Do Domestic Firms Benefit from Direct Foreign Investment? Evidence from Venezuela," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 605-618, June.
- Smith, V Kerry & Huang, Ju-Chin, 1995. "Can Markets Value Air Quality? A Meta-analysis of Hedonic Property Value Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(1), pages 209-227, February.
- Charles Steindel & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2001. "Productivity: what is it and why do we care about it?," Staff Reports 122, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp6048. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.