Telecommunications Dynamics, Output and Employment
In EU countries, opening up of telecommunications markets and regulations have helped to reduce the price of digital services which is an important quasi-input factor in all firms. Integrating the use of telecommunications in a macroeconomic production function is the analytical starting point for our interdependent analysis of output, use of telecommunications and employment. Based on unit root and co-integration analysis as well as an error correction three-equation model which are estimated simultaneously, we present results both on long run links and short run links between telecommunications, output and employment. Considering various scenarios suggests that a fall in the relative price of telecommunications can generate a cumulated employment increase of 760,000 within seven years in Germany. The institutional setup for regulating telecommunications could be improved in Germany and other EU countries.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Falk, Martin & Koebel, Bertrand, 2003.
"The Impact of Office Machinery and Computer Capital on the Demand for Heterogeneous Labour,"
IZA Discussion Papers
873, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Falk, Martin & Koebel, Bertrand M., 2004. "The impact of office machinery, and computer capital on the demand for heterogeneous labour," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 99-117, February.
- Falk, Martin, 2001. "The impact of office machinery and computer capital on the demand for heterogeneous labor," ZEW Discussion Papers 01-66, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- David T. Coe & Reza Moghadam, 1993.
"Capital and Trade As Engines of Growth in France; An Application of Johansen's Cointegration Methodology,"
IMF Working Papers
93/11, International Monetary Fund.
- David T. Coe & Reza Moghadam, 1993. "Capital and Trade as Engines of Growth in France: An Application of Johansen's Cointegration Methodology," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 40(3), pages 542-566, September.
- Ark, Bart van & Piatkowski, Marcin, 2004. "Productivity, innovation and ICT in old and new Europe," GGDC Research Memorandum 200469, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Mankiw, N Gregory & Romer, David & Weil, David N, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 407-37, May.
- Cronin, Francis J. & Colleran, Elisabeth K. & Herbert, Paul L. & Lewitzky, Steven, 1993. "Telecommunications and growth : The contribution of telecommunications infrastructure investment to aggregate and sectoral productivity," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(9), pages 677-690, December.
- Lars-Hendrik Roller & Leonard Waverman, 2001.
"Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 909-923, September.
- Lars-Hendrik Röller & Leonard Waverman, 1996. "Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," CIG Working Papers FS IV 96-16, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Röller, Lars-Hendrik & Waverman, Leonard, 2000. "Telecommunications Infrastructure And Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 2399, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cronin, Francis J. & Parker, Edwin B. & Colleran, Elisabeth K. & Gold, Mark A., 1993. "Telecommunications infrastructure investment and economic development," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 415-430, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp2379. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.