Women's Homelessness: International Evidence on Causes, Consequences, Coping and Policies
This paper reviews international evidence regarding women's homelessness. It discusses different definitions of homelessness and how women are frequently part of the "hidden homeless" population and less a part of the unsheltered homeless population. It also considers the data that are used to enumerate and study homeless people. The structural, personal, and random causes of homelessness are discussed, with evidence pointing to highly gendered patterns. The paper also describes the consequences of women's homelessness, including the consequences for children, and the material and psychological coping strategies that homeless people employ. It considers policies to reduce homelessness and ameliorate its problems.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2017|
|Publication status:||forthcoming in: Oxford Handbook on the Economics of Women|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicolas Herault & David C. Ribar, 2016.
"Food Insecurity and Homelessness in the Journeys Home Survey,"
Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series
wp2016n15, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Herault, Nicolas & Moschion, Julie & Ribar, David C., 2016. "Food Insecurity and Homelessness in the Journeys Home Survey," 2016 Conference (60th), February 2-5, 2016, Canberra, Australia 235586, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Cobb-Clark, Deborah A. & Herault, Nicolas & Scutella, Rosanna & Tseng, Yi-Ping, 2016. "A journey home: What drives how long people are homeless?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(C), pages 57-72.
- Cobb-Clark, Deborah A. & Herault, Nicolas & Scutella, Rosanna & Tseng, Yi-Ping, 2014. "A Journey Home: What Drives How Long People Are Homeless?," IZA Discussion Papers 8495, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Deborah A. Cobb-Clark & Nicolas Herault & Rosanna Scutella & Yi-Ping Tseng, 2014. "A Journey Home: What Drives How Long People Are Homeless?," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2014n20, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- McVicar, Duncan & Moschion, Julie & van Ours, Jan C., 2015. "From substance use to homelessness or vice versa?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 136, pages 89-98.
- Allgood, Sam & Warren, Ronald Jr., 2003. "The duration of homelessness: evidence from a national survey," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 273-290, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp10614. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.