How different are the Spanish self-employed workers by underreporting their incomes?
This paper offers estimates of the underreporting of income by self-employed workers using the Spanishhousehold surveys over the period 2006-2009. We use the well-known model by Pissarides and Weber (1989)but extending its interpretation for admitting also the (lower) concealment of income by salary workers. Ourresults show that the reported income by self-employed has to be increased by about 25-30 percent to obtainthe level of income which would equal the level of underreporting by employees. Our estimates are robust tochanges in specification, endogeneity and non-linearities. Este artículo ofrece estimaciones de la ocultación de rentas por parte de los trabajadores autónomosespañoles usando Encuestas de Presupuestos Familiares en el periodo 2006-2009. Para ello empleamos elconocido modelo de Pissarides y Weber (1989), cuya interpretación extendemos para admitir también la(menor) ocultación de renta por parte de los trabajadores asalariados. Nuestros resultados muestran que larenta reconocida por los trabajadores autónomos españoles debe incrementarse entre un 25 y 30 por cientopara obtener el nivel de renta que igualaría el grado de ocultación de los empleados. Dichas estimacionesson robustas a cambios en la especificación, endogeneidad y no linealidades.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Guardia Civil, 22, Esc 2a, 1o, E-46020 VALENCIA|
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Alm & Benno Torgler, 2004.
"Culture Differences and Tax Morale in the United States and in Europe,"
CREMA Working Paper Series
2004-14, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Alm, James & Torgler, Benno, 2006. "Culture differences and tax morale in the United States and in Europe," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 224-246, April.
- Erik Hurst & Geng Li & Benjamin Pugsley, 2014.
"Are Household Surveys Like Tax Forms? Evidence from Income Underreporting of the Self-Employed,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 96(1), pages 19-33, March.
- Erik Hurst & Geng Li & Benjamin Pugsley, 2011. "Are household surveys like tax forms: evidence from income underreporting of the self-employed," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2011-06, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Erik Hurst & Geng Li & Benjamin Pugsley, 2010. "Are Household Surveys Like Tax Forms: Evidence from Income Underreporting of the Self Employed," NBER Working Papers 16527, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ann-Sofie Kolm & Søren Bo Nielsen, 2008.
"Under-reporting of Income and Labor Market Performance,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 10(2), pages 195-217, 04.
- Kolm, Ann-Sofie & Nielsen, Søren Bo, 2007. "Under-reporting of income and Labour Market Performance," Working Papers 10-2007, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Kolm, Ann-Sofie & Nielsen, Søren Bo, 2005. "Under-reporting of Income and Labor Market Performance," Research Papers in Economics 2005:5, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Edvard Johansson, 2005. "An estimate of self-employment income underreporting in Finland," Nordic Journal of Political Economy, Nordic Journal of Political Economy, vol. 31, pages 99-109.
- Tedds, Lindsay, 2007.
"Estimating the Income Reporting Function for the Self-Employed,"
4212, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lindsay Tedds, 2010. "Estimating the income reporting function for the self-employed," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 38(3), pages 669-687, June.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 1995. "Selection corrections for panel data models under conditional mean independence assumptions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 115-132, July.
- Torrini, Roberto, 2005.
"Cross-country differences in self-employment rates: the role of institutions,"
Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 661-683, October.
- Roberto Torrini, 2002. "Cross-country differences in self-employment rates: the role of institutions," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 459, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Per Engström & Bertil Holmlund, 2006.
"Tax Evasion and Self-Employment in a High-Tax Country: Evidence from Sweden,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1736, CESifo Group Munich.
- Per Engstrom & Bertil Holmlund, 2009. "Tax evasion and self-employment in a high-tax country: evidence from Sweden," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(19), pages 2419-2430.
- Engström, Per & Holmlund, Bertil, 2006. "Tax Evasion and Self-Employment in a High-Tax Country: Evidence from Sweden," Working Paper Series 2006:12, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Panayiota Lyssiotou & Panos Pashardes & Thanasis Stengos, 2004. "Estimates of the black economy based on consumer demand approaches," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(497), pages 622-640, 07.
- Herb J. Schuetze, 2002. "Profiles of Tax Non-compliance Among the Self-Employed in Canada: 1969 to 1992," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 28(2), pages 219-237, June.
- María Jesús Freire-Serén & Judith Panadés, 2008. "Does Tax Evasion Modify the Redistributive Effect of Tax Progressivity?," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 84(267), pages 486-495, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasec:2011-09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.