A characterization of acyclic preferences on countable sets
In this paper a new numerical representation of preferences (by means of set-valued real functions) is proposed. Our representation extends the usual utility function (in case preferences are preorder-type) as well as the pairwise representation (in case preferences are interval-order type). Then, we provide a characterization of acyclic preference relations on countable sets as those admitting a set-valued numerical representation.
|Date of creation:||Jan 1991|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mirman, L.J. & Samuelson, L. & Urbano, A., 1989.
8-89-7, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Antonio Villar Notario & Carmen Herrero Blanco, 1990.
"Vector mappings with diagonal images,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
1990-01, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Bridges, Douglas S., 1985. "Representing interval orders by a single real-valued function," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 149-155, June.
- Bridges, Douglas S., 1983. "Numerical representation of intransitive preferences on a countable set," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 213-217, June.
- Chateauneuf, Alain, 1987. "Continuous representation of a preference relation on a connected topological space," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 139-146, April.
- Bergstrom, Theodore C., 1975. "Maximal elements of acyclic relations on compact sets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 403-404, June.
- Donald J. Brown, 1973. "Acyclic Choice," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 360, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Bridges, Douglas S., 1983. "A numerical representation of preferences with intransitive indifference," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 25-42, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:1991-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.