Absorptive capacity and the delocalisation of university-industry interaction Evidence from participations in the EU's Sixth Framework Programme for Research
Increasing university-industry interaction and university contribution to the local economy arecompatible –conventional wisdom would say. However, as other university activities, interactionwith industry may be limited due to a lack of absorptive capacity in local firms. We exploit data onparticipations to EU 6th R&D Framework Programme (FP6) to generate measures on the numberand, notably, the budgets of UII projects at regional level for the EU27. Our analysis indicates thatuniversities from regions with low absorptive capacity participate more often in FP6 projects withfirms outside the region. Our results highlight the value of policies that facilitate firm R&D toenhance collaboration with regional universities.
|Date of creation:||27 Mar 2010|
|Note:||*The views expressed in this article are those of the authors and may not in any circumstances be regarded as stating an officialposition of the European Commission. Neither the European Commission nor any person acting on behalf of the Commission isresponsible for the use that might be made of the following information.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 20012|
Phone: +34 943 297 327
Fax: +34 943 279 323
Web page: http://www.orkestra.deusto.es
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geuna, Aldo, 1998. "Determinants of university participation in EU-funded R & D cooperative projects," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 677-687, February.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg & Rebecca Henderson, 1993.
"Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 577-598.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg & Rebecca Henderson, 1992. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," NBER Working Papers 3993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jaffe, A.B. & Trajtenberg, M., 1992. "Geographic Localization of Knowledge Spillovers as Evidenced by Patent Citations," Papers 14-92, Tel Aviv.
- Beise, Marian & Stahl, Harald, 1999. "Public research and industrial innovations in Germany," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 397-422, April.
- Beise, Marian & Stahl, Harald, 1998. "Public research and industrial innovations in Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 98-37, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Audretsch, David B & Feldman, Maryann P, 1996. "R&D Spillovers and the Geography of Innovation and Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 630-640, June.
- Hussler, Caroline & Ronde, Patrick, 2007. "The impact of cognitive communities on the diffusion of academic knowledge: Evidence from the networks of inventors of a French university," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 288-302, March.
- Jun Koo, 2005. "Agglomeration and spillovers in a simultaneous framework," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 39(1), pages 35-47, 03.
- Schartinger, Doris & Rammer, Christian & Fischer, Manfred M. & Frohlich, Josef, 2002. "Knowledge interactions between universities and industry in Austria: sectoral patterns and determinants," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 303-328, March.
- Anthony Arundel & Aldo Geuna, 2004. "Proximity and the use of public science by innovative European firms," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(6), pages 559-580.
- Geuna, Aldo & Anthony Arundel, 2003. "Proximity and the Use of Public Science by Innovate European Firms," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 86, Royal Economic Society.
- Maryann P. Feldman, 1994. "The University and Economic Development: The Case of Johns Hopkins University and Baltimore," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 8(1), pages 67-76, February.
- Attila Varga, 2000. "Local Academic Knowledge Transfers and the Concentration of Economic Activity," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 289-309.
- Meyer-Krahmer, Frieder & Schmoch, Ulrich, 1998. "Science-based technologies: university-industry interactions in four fields," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 835-851, December.
- Cohen, Wesley M & Levinthal, Daniel A, 1989. "Innovation and Learning: The Two Faces of R&D," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 569-596, September.
- Rohrbeck, Rene & Arnold, Heinrich M., 2006. "Making university-industry collaboration work - a case study on the Deutsche Telekom Laboratories contrasted with findings in literature," MPRA Paper 5470, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Oughton, Christine & Landabaso, Mikel & Morgan, Kevin, 2002. "The Regional Innovation Paradox: Innovation Policy and Industrial Policy," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 97-110, January.
- Will Geoghegan & Dimitrios Pontikakis, 2008. "From ivory tower to factory floor? How universities are changing to meet the needs of industry," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(7), pages 462-474, August.
- Azagra-Caro, Joaquin M. & Archontakis, Fragiskos & Gutierrez-Gracia, Antonio & Fernandez-de-Lucio, Ignacio, 2006. "Faculty support for the objectives of university-industry relations versus degree of R&D cooperation: The importance of regional absorptive capacity," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 37-55, February.
- Roy Wada, 2005. "OUTREG2: Stata module to arrange regression outputs into an illustrative table," Statistical Software Components S456416, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 17 Aug 2014.
- Acs, Zoltan J. & Anselin, Luc & Varga, Attila, 2002. "Patents and innovation counts as measures of regional production of new knowledge," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1069-1085, September.
- Caloghirou, Yannis & Tsakanikas, Aggelos & Vonortas, Nicholas S, 2001. "Univeristy-Industry Cooperation in the Context of the European Framework Programmes," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 26(1-2), pages 153-161, January.
- Harvey Goldstein & Joshua Drucker, 2006. "The Economic Development Impacts of Universities on Regions: Do Size and Distance Matter?," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 20(1), pages 22-43, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)