Structural Changes and Interregional Income Inequality in the Philippines, 1975-2009
The Philippines has undergone gradual but substantial changes in industrial structure over the past few decades, and these have been associated with the change in the geographical distribution of economic activity. This study analyzes changes in the determinants of regional income inequality in the Philippines associated with these structural changes from 1975 to 2009. This is accomplished by using the bi-dimensional decomposition method. The reduction of the disparity between the National Capital Region (NCR) and the rest of Luzon is essential to decreasing Luzon's high within-region inequality and overall interregional inequality. But this is not easy to accomplish, since services sectors have enjoyed agglomeration economies that NCR has nurtured under economic liberalization and globalization. Decentralization has been one way to ameliorate the disparity, but its effects are ambiguous. Another option would be to relocate some manufacturing activities to areas outside NCR where they could enjoy localization economies.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 777 Kokusai-cho, Minami Uonuma0-shi, Niigata 949-7277 JAPAN|
Web page: http://www.iuj.ac.jp/research/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Barro, 2012.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
CEMA Working Papers
568, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Manasan, Rosario G. & Mercado, Ruben G., 1999. "Regional Economic Growth and Convergence in the Philippines: 1975-1997," Discussion Papers DP 1999-13, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Arsenio M. Balisacan & Hal Hill & Sharon Faye A Piza, 2006. "Regional Development Dynamics and Decentralization in the Philippines: Ten Lessons from a 'Fast Starter'," Departmental Working Papers 2006-14, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Takahiro Akita & Puji Agus Kurniawan & Sachiko Miyata, 2009.
"Structural Changes and Regional Income Inequality in Indonesia: A Bi-dimensional Decomposition Analysis,"
EMS_2009_13, Research Institute, International University of Japan.
- Takahiro Akita & Puji Agus Kurniawan & Sachiko Miyata, 2011. "Structural Changes and Regional Income Inequality in Indonesia: A Bidimensional Decomposition Analysis," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 25(1), pages 55-77, 03.
- Mercado, Ruben G., 2002. "Regional Development in the Philippines: A Review of Experience, State of the Art and Agenda for Research and Action," Discussion Papers DP 2002-03, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Mapa, Dennis S. & Balisacan, Arsenio & Briones, Kristine Joy S. & Albis, Manuel Leonard F., 2009. "What really matters for income growth in the Philippines: Empirical evidence from provincial data," MPRA Paper 19449, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Balisacan, Arsenio M. & Fuwa, Nobuhiko, 2003. "Growth, inequality and politics revisited: a developing-country case," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 53-58, April.
- Takahiro Akita & Sachiko Miyata, 2010. "The bi-dimensional decomposition of regional inequality based on the weighted coefficient of variation," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 91-100, October.
- Joseph J. Capuno, 2012. "Agglomeration And Sub-Regional Disparities Under Decentralization: Evidence Of Spatial Clustering Of Land Values In The Philippines," Review of Urban & Regional Development Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 106-120, November.
- Balisacan, Arsenio M. & Fuwa, Nobuhiko, 2004. "Changes in Spatial Income Inequality in the Philippines: An Exploratory Analysis," WIDER Working Paper Series 034, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Balisacan, Arsenio M. & Mapa, Dennis S. & Briones, Kristine Joy S., 2007. "Robust Determinants of Income Growth in the Philippines," Philippine Journal of Development PJD 2006 Vol. XXXIII Nos., Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iuj:wpaper:ems_2013_14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kazumi Imai, Office of Academic Affairs)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.