Structural Changes and Interregional Income Inequality in the Philippines, 1975-2009
The Philippines has undergone gradual but substantial changes in industrial structure over the past few decades, and these have been associated with the change in the geographical distribution of economic activity. This study analyzes changes in the determinants of regional income inequality in the Philippines associated with these structural changes from 1975 to 2009. This is accomplished by using the bi-dimensional decomposition method. The reduction of the disparity between the National Capital Region (NCR) and the rest of Luzon is essential to decreasing Luzon's high within-region inequality and overall interregional inequality. But this is not easy to accomplish, since services sectors have enjoyed agglomeration economies that NCR has nurtured under economic liberalization and globalization. Decentralization has been one way to ameliorate the disparity, but its effects are ambiguous. Another option would be to relocate some manufacturing activities to areas outside NCR where they could enjoy localization economies.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 777 Kokusai-cho, Minami Uonuma0-shi, Niigata 949-7277 JAPAN|
Web page: http://www.iuj.ac.jp/research/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Balisacan, Arsenio M. & Fuwa, Nobuhiko, 2003. "Growth, inequality and politics revisited: a developing-country case," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 53-58, April.
- Takahiro Akita & Sachiko Miyata, 2010. "The bi-dimensional decomposition of regional inequality based on the weighted coefficient of variation," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 3(3), pages 91-100, October.
- Takahiro Akita & Puji Agus Kurniawan & Sachiko Miyata, 2011.
"Structural Changes and Regional Income Inequality in Indonesia: A Bidimensional Decomposition Analysis,"
Asian Economic Journal,
East Asian Economic Association, vol. 25(1), pages 55-77, 03.
- Takahiro Akita & Puji Agus Kurniawan & Sachiko Miyata, 2009. "Structural Changes and Regional Income Inequality in Indonesia: A Bi-dimensional Decomposition Analysis," Working Papers EMS_2009_13, Research Institute, International University of Japan.
- Robert J. Barro, 2013. "Inflation and Economic Growth," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 14(1), pages 121-144, May.
- Robert J. Barro, 1995. "Inflation and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 5326, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Barro, 2012. "Inflation and Economic Growth," CEMA Working Papers 568, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Arsenio M. Balisacan & Hal Hill & Sharon Faye A Piza, 2006. "Regional Development Dynamics and Decentralization in the Philippines: Ten Lessons from a 'Fast Starter'," Departmental Working Papers 2006-14, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Manasan, Rosario G. & Mercado, Ruben G., 1999. "Regional Economic Growth and Convergence in the Philippines: 1975-1997," Discussion Papers DP 1999-13, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Balisacan, Arsenio M. & Mapa, Dennis S. & Briones, Kristine Joy S., 2007. "Robust Determinants of Income Growth in the Philippines," Philippine Journal of Development PJD 2006 Vol. XXXIII Nos., Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Balisacan, Arsenio M. & Fuwa, Nobuhiko, 2004. "Changes in Spatial Income Inequality in the Philippines: An Exploratory Analysis," WIDER Working Paper Series 034, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Mercado, Ruben G., 2002. "Regional Development in the Philippines: A Review of Experience, State of the Art and Agenda for Research and Action," Discussion Papers DP 2002-03, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Mapa, Dennis S. & Balisacan, Arsenio & Briones, Kristine Joy S. & Albis, Manuel Leonard F., 2009. "What really matters for income growth in the Philippines: Empirical evidence from provincial data," MPRA Paper 19449, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joseph J. Capuno, 2012. "Agglomeration And Sub-Regional Disparities Under Decentralization: Evidence Of Spatial Clustering Of Land Values In The Philippines," Review of Urban & Regional Development Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 106-120, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iuj:wpaper:ems_2013_14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kazumi Imai, Office of Academic Affairs)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.